No heating unless hot water is on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a strange fault with my y plan heating system, where the heating will not go on unless my hot water is turned off, this is more strange however as it is intermittent. I've got a st9400c controller which I suspect is the fault and I plan on upgrading with tado, is anyone able to shed a light on the likelyhood of the programmer causing the intermittent fault. I'm almost certain that its the programmer, as when I switch the hot water from 'constant' to 'off' the C/H works.
or am I wrong and could it also be the 3 port causing the issue?

Sponsored Links
It could be the motorised valve actuator, as this could stay in mid position and not be motoring over to heating only.

It could be the motorised valve actuator, as this could stay in mid position and not be motoring over to heating only.
Thanks, thats a good theory, that would make sense as to why its intermittent, am I best to replace the entire unit or just the powerhead, its around 14 years old and is a honeywell 3 port

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I could also replace the synchron and see if that makes any diff before replacing

Sponsored Links
am I best to replace the entire unit or just the powerhead, its around 14 years old and is a honeywell 3 port
Well, it depends if the unit is needed. If not, it’s cheaper for the powerhead. If you remove it and can move the spindle using finger and thumb, or gently with an adjustable spanner then just the powerhead.
I could also replace the synchron and see if that makes any diff before replacing
if it’s the synchron, yes you could.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back