No heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just drained the central heating system due to a very large amount of sludge in the radiators (we have only just brought the house). I have a baxi bermuda 552 boiler, which is now not starting (pilot light is working), and when it does which is very rarely, it only does for a very short time, i.e 30seconds. I am getting no hot water or heating (knew I should have left this till the summer!!!). The pump is making noises when switched on and expelling water into the expansion tank. All the rads have been bled.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Get a heating engineer before it is too late. You have what is known as pump over. Plumbing is incorrect

The pump is only expelling a little water into the expansion tank, only when it is initailly turned on. I can't believe there is that much wrong with the plumbing as this house is an old house. Could it not just be an air lock?

I gave the advise as a heating engineer. You as a layman do not need to follow it. If there is ANY water spilling over into the header tank, I can assure you the plumbing is incorrect. Why do you think the boiler only burns for 30 seconds- because the system has sludged up due to constant spillover. This results in oxygenated water circulating leading to more corrosion. As a result spillover is reduced so is circulation.

Sponsored Links
It was not doing this before the system was drained? Can anyone recommend a good heat engineer in the Swansea area as we are new to the area.

Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back