No hot water after draining CH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I decided to drain my CH system so I could decorate behind a radiator, I'm also having some radiators replaced next week so I decided to leave the CH drained rather than refilling and draining again. The problem is now the HW is not working. The prgrammer comes on at the stated time and the pump appears to be working but the boiler does not fire up although the pilot light is lit.

The strange thing was that the HW was working OK yesterday with the CH drained but there was an anomoly where hot water came through one of the valves where I had removed a radiator.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

This is my first reply to a help request and what i know i've learnt after playing with my own system so take my comments with a pinch of salt!

On my system the CH circuit runs through the boiler through the rads and possibly through the boiler to heat the water there if the programmer calls for it. If you've drained the Ch then there is no hot water to heat the boiler.

You may have got HW yesterday because this was just left over from the system was full.

The leaky valve-is it a Thermostatic valve? If so do a search for them and you'll see you need to physically block them off to stop leaks.

Hope i haven't put a load of rubbish down and that you do find it useful.

Best of luck,

Buzzbob.

PS I understand that it's raelly bad to run a pump dry.

Thanks for the reply Buzzbob, when I say I drained the CH system I thought I meant that the water in the radiators and header tank, is that the same water that goes around the piping in the HW cyclinder as well. If it is then you may well be right.

I guess its not possible to run the HW system if the CH system is drained.

Looks like I'm going to have to rely on the immersion heater for HW until I get my new rads fitted.

I'm pretty sure thats the case, the water in the CH is needed to heat the HW. You may want to think about turning off the boiler - i don't think i'd take the risk of even the pilot light running on a dry boiler. Immersion heater it is and watch that electricty meter spin. :)

Buzzbob

Sponsored Links
I take it you are trying to get hot water with your system empty :eek:

Turn off boiler immediatley. If you want hot water you will have to fill system again and vent or switch on immersion heater.

The indirect coil in your cylinder is filled using the same water as in the rads and boiler :rolleyes:

This is one of the worst ideas I've ever read about.

it does seem to be a reoccuance Softus.

davphi338 i can see your reason for thinking that, but you should of spoke to someone before doing it as you may be posting a few more help topics in a few days time :confused:

Yes, I agree it was a bit of a numpty thing to do :oops: . Learn something everyday!!

Not too fussed what damage is done to the current system because its all being ripped out in a couple of weeks to be replaced by a combi system. I just didn't want to re-fill the system and then have to drain it again.

I suppose I should give up any ideas of training to be a plumber or do you think I would fit in well :LOL:

davphi338 said:
Yes, I agree it was a bit of a numpty thing to do :oops: . Learn something everyday!!

Not too fussed what damage is done to the current system because its all being ripped out in a couple of weeks to be replaced by a combi system. I just didn't want to re-fill the system and then have to drain it again.

I suppose I should give up any ideas of training to be a plumber or do you think I would fit in well :LOL:

its not a "numpty" thing to do a "numpty" thing to do is going all the way to the van for something and when getting there forgetting what you went for! THATS a numpty thing to do

what you did is Light years away from numpty, sheesh almighty a little knowledge is a damn dangerous thing

I like softus am incredulous

STOP doing stuff NOW

Glad I'm not the only one who goes to van then has to spend 5 mins trying to remember what I went there for looking stupid in front of customer :LOL:

i must of took five trips to local merchants one day as i kept forgetting everything.

and i had eveything back home and was having to pay stupid prices :cry:

bad day that was

wonderb0y said:
bad day that was
Friday 13th April: travelled about 35 miles to replace a friend's waste disposal unit. Opened the box and found no waste flange clamp and no rubber washers for the basket. Ar*e.

Being in unfamiliar surroudings I phoned my local supplier (25 miles away), who handed me the bag of bits when I got there an hour later. Double ar*e.

Then an hour and quarter back again in London rush-hour traffic. Triple ar*e.

YAY

I am so glad it aint just me going to the van, stockist etc with my lips pursed wondering why the eff I am here.

Brilliant

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back