No hot water after rerouting pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As in the title, having issues with hot water since changing pipes.

The house I'm in used to have a gravity fed system, but was replaced with a modern combi at some point (Baxi platinum) .

Combi hot outlet is 28mm. It used to run all the through the airing cupboard, converting to 15mm on the way up, do the loop around the loft (without being connected to anything up there anymore) and come back down at 22m. It needed to be moved for a project.

I've cut out the loop to the loft and ran a new 15mm pipe (plastic) straight to the back of the bathroom where it currently Ts off to feed the sink (22mm original pipework, reduces later), and the kitchen (15mm). Eventually I'll run a more direct route to the kitchen and redo the 22mm sink run to 15mm, but can't until other work is done in the bathroom).

There doesn't seem to be any leaks, flow rate is decent at 10l / min roughly, but much less than the cold water. The boiler does not recognise the hot water being on (no light activating, no errors) and the water at the boiler is making a bit of a wooshing sound (boiler on or off). Only thing I can think of is air trapped in the system (hearing some noises at that T to the sink and kitchen, same at the reduction from 28mm to 15mm) or doing this has shaken up some rubbish in the pipes settled from the old gravity fed system. I've tried refilling gradually a few times but no luck. I'd try the hose method but don't currently have a way to attach one to the taps. Any advice appreciated.

Cold water pipes are connected in exactly the same way with the same fittings, except they don't connect to any older 22mm pipework. They are fine. Lots of pressure (possibly too much).

Sponsored Links
Outlet from combi in 28mm ,is that the domestic hot water outlet ?
what is the pressure in the central heating system ?

The pipe you added wasn't blocked?
I had a stone in mine left it on the gravel should have looked

Sponsored Links
Outlet from combi in 28mm ,is that the domestic hot water outlet ?
what is the pressure in the central heating system ?
Yes domestic hot and cold are both on 28mm from the boiler running all the way to the first floor airing cupboard.

Are hot taps giving the 10 LTRs per minute flow rate ?

Yeah hot taps are 10 LTR per minute. Cold taps much higher.
The pipe you added wasn't blocked?
I had a stone in mine left it on the gravel should have looked
I'll check! Although if there was and it has worked it's way further into the system then that is me buggered .

If all hot taps are giving 10L/m flow ,the pipework can't be blocked. Boiler should fire up with far less flow than that.
What's the pressure in the sealed heating system ?

If all hot taps are giving 10L/m flow ,the pipework can't be blocked. Boiler should fire up with far less flow than that.
What's the pressure in the sealed heating system ?

1.5 bar currently. Heating system comes on fine, haven't touched that much other than removing a radiator to move a wall.

Could you have mixed up pipework and joined hot to cold pipework ?
Closing the cold mains into the boiler at the boilers isolation valve ,do you still get flowing water from hot taps ?

Reactions: CBW
Closing the cold mains into the boiler at the boilers isolation valve ,do you still get flowing water from hot taps ?

Had thought that at first as well but double checked the pipework and all seems ok.

Would cutting off the cold mains into boiler behave in the same way as turning off water at the stopcock? In that case it cuts off both hot and cold. Possibly missing something though.

No ,don't close main stopcock. Close the isolation valve on boilers mains cold in.

I rang the guy who normally services the boiler and he got me to double check the pipework, turns out you got it right! A long run under floorboards had gotten crossed en route. Apparently closing the cold mains into the boiler wouldn't diagnose that because the problem is downstream. Anyway, between you both you saved me a call out I can't afford at the moment so big thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back