No hot water after turning off water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm redoing our downstairs toilet in the house we've moved into and have a bit of an issue. Its got a tanked system which is different from the combi we had at our last house.

So I could remove the sink I turned off the cold water feed at the stop valve and a valve at the hot water tank labelled the hot water down service. This took loads of turns to tighten but it did the job and I managed to cap off the sink pipes.

Problem is, we now have no hot water. I've read it could be air trapped but the weird thing is the valve doesn't seem to be working now.. I can turn it 50 times either way and it never tightens now. I checked the other stop valves and go from one lock to another is about 20 turns.

Does it sound like this is buggered or have a I messed up something else? How easy is it to replace the stop valve if it is broken?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
photograph it

if it has a round wheel-head it will be a gate valve and is probably broken. They do that if wound hard open and then left for years.

change it. you need a full-bore valve, not a cheap little ball valve as they obstruct the flow, and leak for no reason.

this is a good one (assuming a 22mm pipe) https://www.screwfix.com/p/pegler-ball-valve-red-22mm/45277

you can fit a new gate valve if you don't mind it breaking one day.

You'll need to either shut off the water to the cold water cistern in the loft and drain it, or bung the feed pipe to the hot water cylinder so you can remove the gate valve and replace with a full bore lever valve as John described. They're notorious for snapping when older.

Thanks for the replies. Heres the photos (poor light, sorry)

Pipe goes into bottom of tank
WP_20171117_07_09_42_Pro.jpg

The broken wheel, pipe goes into loft.
WP_20171117_07_09_26_Pro.jpg

If I bung the pipe off in the loft tank I take it no water should come up from the hot water tank when I remove the broken wheel. Its a lovely tight space so will be fun..

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back