No Hot Water.....At All !!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. Tricky one this, got me stumped.

We moved into our flat six months ago and the hot water pressure has never been great, but then this morning it completely stopped. Not even a trickle.

Cold water pressure is as usual and the central heating works fine and the Glowworm Space Saver F Boiler seems to be fine and firing up as normal. The pipes into the hot water cylinder are hot, whilst the cylinder itself is warm to the touch.

Had a nosey at the ACL Lifestyle mid position valve and noticed that its warranty ran out in 1997, so thought maybe the strainer in blocked or the motor is shot?? It has a black slider, which i slid to the right and it returned slowly back to its normal position.

Also have a Grundfos Selectric Pump, and its set at the highest setting, '3'. Should I be checking this out??

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. Don't fancy shaving with cold water for too long (maybe I should start growing that beard......?)

Chris

Sponsored Links
Do you mean no water comes out of any hot taps? or do you mean the water comes out but its not hot?

Are the cold taps off the mains or off the cold tank? (except the kitchen cold whick will be off the mains).

blimey, that was quick.

There is no hot water at all out of any of the taps. I think the cold is straight from the mains, its a small flat, with only a small tank above the boiler.

Cheers Gasguru

You can tell if its mains on all the cold by sticking your finger over the end of the taps and feeling the pressure - compare with kitchen sink cold tap.

The small tank above the boiler is probably the heating feed tank if its about 14x10x10 inches - this has nothing to do with the hot water.

You need to locate the main cold storage tank - perhaps its above the hot water cylinder or up on the roof as your in a flat - check if its full of water.

Sponsored Links
Check that you have water in the cistern feeding the hot water cylinder. If you haven't, then check the operation of the valve - it may have stuck.

If neither of these, check that the red wheel head valve on the pipe going to the bottom of the cylinder has not been inadvertently turned off.

If still no joy then you have a blockage on the cold feed to the cylinder which will require a bit more investigation.

Thanks Gasguru and eliteheat.

Ive checked the pressure of the taps and they are different. There is a small tank above the hot water cylinder and i can hear a dripping sound into the water, so can only assume its pretty full. Ive checked the red head valve and its turned anticlockwise fully.

so i guess its sounding like a blockage then??

Thanks again

Chris

Reach into the tank and feel if theres any water in it - the float arm may have jammed up or the float valve may be blocked. Push the arm down to confirm water comes out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back