No Hot water but central heating is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have no hot water.

System is a gravity feed system with a potterton 60e boiler.

I can feel the hot water getting to the coil top. But I cannot feel it returning.

Central heating works fine so it is something to do with the circuit not flowing.

Bleed everything thing I could bleed....but something between the top of the coil and the return is not working.

Water seems to flow up the coil as when I start the boiler the return pipe is getting warm from the returning central heating water.... Just doesn't seem to flow.

I drained down the system to put replace a radiater with a leaky valve .... now I can slowly boil myself to death with the central heating but not warm the hot water to clear off the sweat.!!!

Sponsored Links
Have you not read the long thread about exactly the same kind of problem?

All the possibilities are discussed there!

Tony

How can a blocked cold feed which is a feed from the small cold water tank to the central heating system,affect the hot water cylinder when all radiators are hot? Given that the water heating the cylinder is via a coil from the heating system which is on a loop with no need to add/top up water.If there was a blocked cold feed wouldn`t the rads when bled not fill up? This is a genuine question to heating guy`s, cos I don`t get it. Try and hold back on the abuse if you can. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I've shown you pictures in the other thread. The thread that I offered to let bygones be bygones. To which you ignored and continued to be a twonk.

If you want educating, register for the Combustion Chamber section.

Didn`t see any pics,wasn`t being a twonk, why are you guys turning so aggressive? Bygones be bygones works for me,shake hands and start again..How about it?

Didn`t see any pics,wasn`t being a twonk, why are you guys turning so aggressive? Bygones be bygones works for me,shake hands and start again..How about it?

You conveniently vanished the moment I posted them :

Scotch mist? Now, what fittings do you see in the picture? And guess what was housed a few meters above?:

Different System:

Are they big enough.?

Call me stupid but what does a blocked cold feed have to do with hot water? I know what a blocked cold feed looks like I`ve chopped out hundreds. Can you explain how a blocked cold feed on the heating side from the expansion tank, affects the hot water?? I`m stupid I know so can you explain in words?

Think where the feed enters a typical system.

Think about where the heating is.

Draw out a basic OV system and think reeeeeaaaaalllly hard.

I have to go a build a lego x wing fighter with my boy. I'll be back when I'm done to see how you get on.

Because when the cold feed is blocked the system is short of water and the first thing to suffer is the coil on the cylinder hence no hot water.

First thing to look at is the FEED and expansion tank in may be empty due to a stuck ball valve, if not then blocked feed pipe.

If the coil is short of water (gravity feed system) the cylinder will not heat up at all due to no circulation. The heating can still work for a time but the gravity feed pipes to the cylinder is the first thing to be robbed of water hence no hot water.

Even if the tank was empty the water in the heating system would still circulate through the coil, the heating system rarely if ever needs topping up. You need to read a book my friend. The only loss in an open vented system is due to evaporation which the feed and expansion tank accomodates. A blocked cold feed would show up firstly in loss of heating, hot water would not suffer.

Ukdaasfan,you mention you drained down the system to exchange a radiater valve and you have refilled the system with radiators heating up as before.

Was the above done immediately before your no hot water fault,its quiet important to know the sequence of work.

It won't be circulating through a blocked tee that joins the feed to the coil will it? :?:

Nothing to say that there is a shortage of water in the system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back