No hot water - Glow worm boiler ultracom 28cxi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm having some problems with the Glow worm boiler. I keep having to top up pressure and then it works. However, this morning the heating was coming on but there is no hot water even though when I run the taps it sounds like the water is boiling in the system. Any advice please?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the divertor valve could be faulty.
But if you keep having top up system, that sounds like a leak is on the central heating, which needs looking at. Even if you are happy to keep topping up, you are putting oxygenated water in to the system that will dilute any protection already in place and lead to corrosion.

It sounds as if you have been continually topping up rather than having the underlying problem fixed then as explained above you have created sludge in the system which has caused a blockage.

Tony

The central heating works but when I turn the hot water tap on, the boiler is igniting as usual but the pressure gauge keeps rising and the water isn't heating. The radiators are coming on instead. The boiler was only installed a year ago. The service gas man came out to service it over a month ago and ever since then, it hasn't worked the same. It was working allright up till then.

We had this problem with the boiler that was replaced and they kept coming out to try and put it right and despite making several call outs, they never did manage to fix it. There was no heating or hot water for weeks and eventually they replaced it with this boiler. However, now this boiler started playing up after it was serviced and there isn't any hot water but the heating keeps coming on instead of the water.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The central heating works but when I turn the hot water tap on, the boiler is igniting as usual but the pressure gauge keeps rising and the water isn't heating. The radiators are coming on instead. The boiler was only installed a year ago.
Yes, it sounds like the divertor valve is locked in the CH postion.
The boiler will/should have a parts/labour warranty, but if the system has been leaking and being continually topped up, you may have created an issue that could make the warranty invalid. You need a gas safe engineer to look at it.

It's rented property so it's up to the housing association. The problem is that the gas or service engineers don't seem to be putting things right.

It's rented property so it's up to the housing association. The problem is that the gas or service engineers don't seem to be putting things right.
You need to inform the HA then, they have a duty to supply you with hot water.
I would keep it quiet that you have been topping the system up though.
Tell them you want an experienced Glowworm engineer to look at it.

I think it would be better to have a Glow worm engineer but they've contracted the work out to another company. So, they're probably not going to be willing to send someone else because of any extra costs that it would incur.

It wasn't installed by Glow worm, the HA uses another company to do that. They would be the same ones coming out to do the work on it.

Does not matter who installed it, under warranty glowworm will come look at it and repair if things have been done correctly and it is down to boiler parts failure.

Is that even if we didn't purchase it and we live in council property?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back