No hot water. Is this just a 3 way valve problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there. We have a problem in that we have no hot water, although the heating is fine.

We have an gravity fed system, an old but functioning Glow worm 45-60 boiler and a summer/winter switch that switches the radiators on and off.
For a good six months the switch has not been working and we've needed to put the heating on in order to have hot water. Recently the hot water has stopped working all together but the heating remains fine.

We will be fitting a completely new system later this year so are looking for a cheap short term fix. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
you will not have a 3-way valve on a gravity system.

firstly
Is there water in the central heating F+E tank (the smaller one)

Thanks plumbplumb.

OOPs- I may not have described the system properly. :oops:
The heating is pumped and the system has header tank(s).

Unfortunately I have posted whilst our daughter is asleep and the HW system is in her room so I can't check that at the moment.

Depending on what type of valve you have and how confident you feel you will need to isolate the electricity supply to the heating system and remove the actuator which will reveal a little spindle you need to carefully try to turn it a little left to right because it is probably either seized in central heating position or there is some debris stopping the valve from springing back.

If you are unsure it may be wise to post the model of valve on here first.

Sponsored Links
Hello again and thank you Armo74.

I have checked the F+E tanks and they do both contain water.

Can I take it from Armo74's response that the problems are likely to be with the 3 way valve? And that the valve may not need to be replaced?
I should add that neither of us feel confident to do anything beyond real basics, so I think we will need to call someone in.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back