No hot water pressure from taps!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It has gradually got worse and worse over the last few weeks until it has go to the point where it dribbles out, although it IS still hot.

Initially when you turn the taps on the pressure is fine, but the water is cold, it is as the water heats up that it gets slower and slower.

The central heating is fine radiators get hot very quickly.

My amatuer thinking is as follows:
We have a Gledhill BoilermateII 180 litre cylinder. There is no water tank in the loft as it's a 3 storey house so I'm assuming the mains cold water provides the pressure to push the hot water out.

There is a mixer value on the side and the pressure increases if I turn the knob to allow more cold, so I guess there is no blockage BEFORE the mains fed supply reaches the cylinder.
I'm assuming the cylinder has a blockage due to limescale (Stevenage has pretty hard water I believe).

So 1) is it straightforward to descale the cylinder or do we just get a new one?
and 2) if we need a new one are there any recomendations other than another 180litre Boilermate 2. Gledhill have quoted us £1200 just for the cylinder which seems a lot to me, but I don't really know.
and 3) How on earth do I find someone near Stevenage to do this!

I hope someone can help.

Mark

Sponsored Links
Do all your hot taps do the same? SOmetimes taps , especially hot ones, do exactly what you describe as the insides expand/move.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back