No idea how to do this!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

my house recently bought has 2 storage spaces, one under the extension and the other is under a small balcony. Both are rendered with brick wall facing foundations.

I can’t really keep anything of value there as it’s wide open. I also know under the kitchen one it’s always freezing floor so would like to put a door on them.

I’ve googled doors, hatches etc but it’s just .... front doors and loft hatches. How do I put a cost effective door on these? I was thinking of building a timber frame and drilling screws into the concrete and then putting chipboard on hinges with a padlock of something. Don’t need it airtight just looks rubbish at present.

please let me know how to deal with this reasonably cheaply!

thanks (see pics)

Attachments

• C8EF47E5-18CF-48D4-903F-7F871374DDEB.jpeg
    C8EF47E5-18CF-48D4-903F-7F871374DDEB.jpeg
    230.3 KB · Views: 268
  • A165FA6F-4F99-467A-B579-3054605466D1.jpeg
    A165FA6F-4F99-467A-B579-3054605466D1.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 254
Sponsored Links
Can you make a bespoke door using tongue and groove pine planking? There’s more chance of weather resistance this way.
Ply delaminates and chipboard falls to bits, but OSB is better.
Lining the opening out with timber is the way to go, and consider tee hinges with a padlock.
John :)

As per above but consider reclaimed reformed plastic, weather proof and maintenance free.

Sponsored Links
If the floor is dry, I'd definitely use them.....in fact I have a similar situation with fuel cans in one and axle stands in another.

Neither look suitable for storage .

both as dry as a bone, and I won’t be storing clothes, more garden equipment, possibly a pressure washer and one as a pantry for my garden produce that can’t go in freezer.

Like I said , unsuitable .

It’s the same suitability as a garden shed. Could you explain why you wouldn’t use them? It looks very much like this was their intended use given it has a concrete floor, render on the walls, whereas they could have just bricked it up when constructing which would have been cheaper....

Are these areas heavily attacked by the rain? If they are, then its a pine door with the T&G vertical, naturally and well braced on the back side with similar material.
If not, you could get away with treated OSB which would be much easier to make.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back