No Internet!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently upgraded my dad's o/s to xp home. The modem that was fitted was not compatible with xp so I fitted a spare that was. When i booted up it found it, installed it and everthing seemed ok. Go to connect and the modem does nothing. I have been into the settings and it will communicate with the modem if i "query modem". It has assigned it to com 3,if I look in device manager under com ports it lists 1 & 2 as in use? but does not show 3...............please help!!

Sponsored Links
COM3 won't be shown under ports.

Did you uninstall the other modem software first? If not, your DUN might be looking for the old one. Check the dial up settings.

If you can query the modem and it responds, this suggests the drivers and PC side are ok. However, it could still mean that the modem is defective on the line side and is a common failure.

Another possibility is the cable. Try another. Also, have you put it in the line socket? Sounds daft, but it's easy to put it in the phone socket.

"Add new Hardware", then add a port (in your case #3)

That won't help. Windows detects i/o ports it can assign resources to. In the case of a modem, it assigns it's own resources through hardware or software. Windows has already assigned resources to 1 & 2, which is why they are listed and probably why your modem picked 3. Adding COM3 as a Windows port will just make it unavailable to anything else.

Sponsored Links
Agree with Igorian there. The old settings and software need to be uninstalled and then the machine rebooted possibly..I don't need to do this on XP Pro, but the Home addition may in some instances.

Back