No light (spotlights) in a room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’m looking for help, I’m not electrician, the problem what I have got is..... I have 3 spotlights in a room and suddenly all of them stopped working, i replaced bulbs but still nothing.
I bought it voltage tester , unscrewed light switch in a room , checked power but there isn’t power there. Any clues? Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Hi, I’m looking for help, I’m not electrician, the problem what I have got is..... I have 3 spotlights in a room and suddenly all of them stopped working, i replaced bulbs but still nothing. ... I bought it voltage tester , unscrewed light switch in a room , checked power but there isn’t power there. Any clues? Thanks for any help
Welcome to the forum.

Have you checked that nothing has 'tripped' in your consumer unit (aka 'fuse box')?

Kind Regards, John

Yes I have checked, room is on a 1st floor, I have light in other rooms(same floor)

Yes I have checked, room is on a 1st floor, I have light in other rooms(same floor)
Fair enough.

What sort of bulbs are they - mains voltage or some sort of 'extra low voltage' (commonly 12V or thereabouts)? If the latter, then all three might be fed by one transformer/power supply, in which case it's failure would kill all three lights. How old are the lights?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Bulbs are gu10, spotlights looks a little bit old, I’m moved to the house last year. I bought it new spotlights in Screwfix today, I thought spotlights looks a little bit old and that might be a reason.
But when I checked a power in light switch and I find out there isn’t any power there I just give up. No power in a light switch? Can that be a spotlights fault?

But when I checked a power in light switch and I find out there isn’t any power there I just give up. No power in a light switch? Can that be a spotlights fault?
Not really - other than if a connection at the lights has gone wrong. What is this 'voltage tester' you bought, and how are you using it?

Kind Regards, John

LAP voltage detector pen in Screwfix, I tested everywhere in a house( unscrew other light switch-same floor) , works perfectly

Look at the old bulbs. What voltage are they?

Is there a loft above these lights?

There will probably be a junction of wires behind one spot light. Could be where the fault is.

A pic behind the switch wiring may help.

I bought it new spotlights in Screwfix today, I thought spotlights looks a little bit old

It is a waste of time and money buying new items when you have not diagnosed the fault.

Best spend the money on an electrician who will probably find the fault quickly.

It is a waste of time and money buying new items when you have not diagnosed the fault.

Best spend the money on an electrician who will probably find the fault quickly.

To be fair 3 new downlighters isnt going to be anything like the cost of an electrician.......

To be fair 3 new downlighters isnt going to be anything like the cost of an electrician.......
That is true, but if the fault is not the downlighters ( I cannot imagine that three will fail at the same time) then buying new fittings is just
MONEY DOWN THE DRAIN.

(Stop press, I agreed with Winston!)

LAP voltage detector pen in Screwfix, I tested everywhere in a house( unscrew other light switch-same floor) , works perfectly
Those magic wands may detect the presence of mains voltage in a conductor. But a lamp needs a neutral and a live connection for it to work.
The fairy wand cannot detect if there is a broken neutral connection, and that is 50% of the faults.
You need a two probe voltage test device, a multimeter (and the knowledge of how to use these) or an electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back