No Lighting Downstairs - Very Old Circuit - HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Earlier today my lighting circuit went dead, and on further investigation it was only the downstairs lights. I don't know what to do next!

I am aware that my house needs to be rewired soon but I was hoping to carry on with the two fuse boxes that we have for the near future. Now this is where the problem is, there are only two fuse boxes, one for sockets and one for lighting. And if the fuse in the lighting box had blown, then all of the lighting would be dead??

So I can only guess that the problem is in the lighting fuse box somewhere, but I cannot find a mains switch to cut off all of the power before I open the fuse box. It seems that the wires go from the meter into either the socket or lighting boxes. I am guessing that I really need to call in an electrician, but are they going to say that the house needs to be rewired, or will they try and fix it? If they do try, how will they isolate the power?!

Could it also be a problem with the wire from the fuse box to the first light on the circuit? But I haven't really done anything major today except change a bulb, and that was a few hours before we had problems so I am very confused :confused:

Any advice would be great.. Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Are you certain you have one fuse supplying lights up and down?

You need to check all fuses first.

Can you send photo of your fuse boxes?

A decent electrician should be able to get your lights going (if he considers it safe enough for the time being), then drum into you the importance of a possible rewire.

Thanks for the reply.. yep being the idiot I am I must have been thinking of the ring mains which only has one fuse. I opened the box and there were two fuses :oops: Just changing the wire now.. fingers crossed!

4 hours and no news.

Hugie is either now illuminated, or dead. Lets hope he reports back, I'm not sure I can sleep worrying about him.....

Sponsored Links
Aha thank you for your concern :LOL:
Yep, I pulled the fuse out and the wire was completely disintergrated. Luckily I found some old matching fuse wire nearby and rewired the fuse without having to go to the shops.. I now have light again!!
..but if only I had MCBs :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back