No lintel above bricked up fireplace… big problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m in the process of trying to restore an old fireplace (for decorative purpose) that’s been bricked up in one of the bedrooms in my Victorian Terrace. I’ve taken a load of plaster off the chimney breast and a fair way up, but there doesn’t appear to be a lintel? Sounds a silly question but I assume it’s dangerous to start removing bricks without one?
IMG_5005.jpeg
IMG_5008.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Chop out the plaster till you find the outline of the old flue opening. Then work up from there. The lintel if there is one can be a lot higher up.

Chop out the plaster till you find the outline of the old flue opening. Then work up from there. The lintel if there is one can be a lot higher up.
Cheers, I’ve chopped out more but still no luck and am over half way up the breast..thinking it may have been taken out when it was bricked up..

Attachments

• IMG_5012.jpeg
    IMG_5012.jpeg
    483.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5011.jpeg
    IMG_5011.jpeg
    271.4 KB · Views: 45
Can't see any material difference between the two pics.

Sponsored Links
Looking at the outline of the existing bricks it appears that originally the fire opening was 6 bricks up and possibly a metal bar lintel supported the brickwork above it. On its removal a triangular wedge of bricks above it settled or came away and was then infilled when the fireplace was blocked up. This mode of failure is typical when you make an opening in bonded brickwork and once the triangular wedge has dropped away the brickwork above it remains in place as it is supported by the corbelling effect ofvthe surrounding brickwork.

Looking at the outline of the existing bricks it appears that originally the fire opening was 6 bricks up and possibly a metal bar lintel supported the brickwork above it. On its removal a triangular wedge of bricks above it settled or came away and was then infilled when the fireplace was blocked up. This mode of failure is typical when you make an opening in bonded brickwork and once the triangular wedge has dropped away the brickwork above it remains in place as it is supported by the corbelling effect ofvthe surrounding brickwork.
Yes that makes sense, presume safest option would be to install a lintel across the top of that 6th block where that row of bricks is and then infill above it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back