No lintel in chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View media item 20188
Hi all

I have just removed a 30 year old gas fire that spanned the length of the chimney breast. This picture shows the supports I found! We only intend the finished opening to be decorative. There is a coarse of five bricks above the horizontal 4x2 timber. The builders' opening is 27 inches wide and 34 inches high. I want to keep this size opening.

I assume that a reinforced concrete lintel of 70 x 100 x 900mm would suffice (where the horizontal batten is).

I think that if I was careful,and added a vertical timber support to the left, I could remove half a brick either side of the opening to insert the lintel with only loosing a brick or two...

Could someone with more experience please advise?

Sponsored Links
Piece of cake.

However i would be tempted to knock out the four or five courses of 'made up' brickwork that presently sits above the timber lintel, insert your concrete fella, then make good properly.

Noseall - thank you for that. I've seen your good advice on similar problems and feel more confident.

I quite agree with you about replacing the few "made up" courses after putting in the lintel.

I don't mean to attack existing brickwork with a sledgehammer but from your response I assume that if I go carefully I will not have to worry about the bricks above the "made up" courses collapsing?

I don't mean to attack existing brickwork with a sledgehammer but from your response I assume that if I go carefully I will not have to worry about the bricks above the "made up" courses collapsing?

You ain't gonna get no collapse!

I would be surprised if you get more than a couple of errant fallers. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thank you again, Noseall. I will crack on in a couple of days with more confidence; I won't wear slippers whilst i'm doing it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back