No live from the boiler to the pump

I had the same problem when upgrading my boiler, and I managed to free a spare wire. There were two neutral wires going to the wiring centre in my airing cupboard. (I think from memory, one was from the FCU/programmer and another came in with the cable from the room thermostat to the motorised valve) I disconnected the one from the FCU/programmer and used it (suitably identified) as the switched live for the pump. Then connected the motorised valve to the other neutral from the thermostat.

Or,
Have a boiler where the pump is integral, hence pump wiring also integral, then remove the upstairs pump.

Or,
Take a permanent live from the wiring centre, wire it to feed the pump via a relay that is timed to delay on de-energise and use the existing pump wiring to energise the relay. Then set the relay delay to correspond to the boiler's overrun time. Power to the relay would be lost when the boiler went off, then the relay would open the contact after the run on time and stop the pump. Sketch below.

Or,
Is there an alternative route for a new cable? For example, outside the house, up into the roof and then down into the airing cupboard? You could always relocate it when you replace the carpet next anyway.

Sponsored Links
Is your boiler actually attached to cylinder.
You dont realise then that gas is actually cheaper to heat your cylinder even with economy 7 reduced rate??

I am not saying that you are definetley wrong but in my experience I have found the immersion to be cheaper. For example this time last year my combined gas and electric was £120. Since I have been using the immersion heater my gas and electric is now £45 per month and has been since August. I am also £110 in credit.

Maybe my immersion heater is magic. It only uses 1.5kw and takes about 1 hour to heat the cylinder. at 5.3p per kw this is about 8p for a days hot water. this works out at £29.20 for a whole year.

I have a smart meter which tells me how long the immersion heater is on.

Before you say anything I know I am a bit tight with money and a bit crazy as well. But I don't waste money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back