No more fishing untill it's done, condensation grrr,help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all been reading but can't find my specific problem, so here it goes, please bare with me.

Been living in my house for 11years, my self wife and 2kids. The house was built in 1905, semi detached and has solid stone walls. The fire place as been blocked up and a gas fire fitted. Either side of the chimney breast in the alcoves is where the problem lies, black patches appear and the wall gets very wet, in winter even when it's dry but very cold condensation so bad puddles appear with water running of the walls. I've tried the anti mold paint,uni bond, I'm painting it say every couple of months.
Last weekend I stripped the the walls back to the plaster skim and it's bone dry, so I think it proves nothing is coming through from outside. This problem happens to the detached side of the house only, walls are always cold. I've fitted hit and miss vents at the bottom just above skirting board, the wettest place, it defo helps, maybe I should enlarge the holes.

My thinking is, if I can make the surface area warm it will stop the condensation, so I'm going to plaster board the left alcove the chimney breast wall and into the right side alcove. Fit bigger vents at top and bottom of alcoves and vent the patio door, there old PVC double glazing with no vents.

Now,, which plaster board to use, I don't want to put batten up it will take up to much room, so some sort of board that will stick to plaster skim and solve the problem, if there is such a thing.?

Any advice or help would be most appreciated , I need to go fishing lol..

Sponsored Links
does anyone drape wet washing around the house, or over radiators?

the chimney needs to be ventilated top and bottom.

You say the fireplace has been blocked up and gas fire fitted. You mean the gas fire outlet goes up the chimney, don't you? Has it got a liner?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back