Plaster boarding party wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've removed all the old plaster from my chimney breast in my semi-detached and am going to board it out and plaster it. I was thinking also to board the party wall either side of the chimney breast without removing the old plaster thereby creating an extra layer of heat/sound insulation across the wall to next door. I don't want to spend a lot of money on this so it will be done with standard board/adhesive. The question is - should I dot and dab the adhesive on to the old plaster or would it be better to use a notched trowel and apply a continuous bed of adhesive across the whole surface of the board/wall? Which method would provide better heat/sound insulation?

Sponsored Links
For sound and heat insulation you want as little contact as possible. I'd go for the smallest dabs you can get away with. If the plaster is good they can be pretty small. If it isn't good then you really need to take it off first.

Thanks for that - the plaster is still in good nick so I will use as little dots as I can. Do I need a continuous bed of adhesive around the perimeter of the wall or not?

Waste of time you won't get no heat and sound insulation d&d standard board onto a wall, if your wall is already on good nick it's a pointless exorcise

Sponsored Links
Confused now - Could do with getting this cleared up as I'd like to start the job ASAP. Can't really see how there would be no benefit whatsoever!? But I'm not in the trade so I wouldn't know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back