Sound proofing a party wall????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for advice on soundproofing a party wall. It currently has one sheet of plaster board dot and dabbed on.. The wall is 5000 long by 2400 high. I have sheets of soundblock plasterboard ready to go on but I don't think that will do the job as I've done that in bedrooms and it's not really helped. I've seen stud walls built and sound proof sheeting available, but wondered the best way to go about it or if anyone had any alternative methods without taking up to much living room space . Thanks [/list]

Sponsored Links
Sound proofing a residential property is almost impossible - unless you more or less build a room within a room.

You can dampen down the sound but leakage will get thro.

All solids seem to transmit sound eg. masonry and joists/studding, walls & floors and ceilings etc.

Anyhow, thats been my experience of attempting to soundproof.

I've read that using a soundproof membrane over the original plaster/plasterboard, then soundbloc plasterboard over that - makes a descent difference.

Supposedly its better still to use the member between 2 pieces of soundbloc plasterboard.

This is what I'm considering doing but I'm not sure if it's a waste of time if I'm then fixing kitchen units and shelving to the brick not be party wall afterwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back