Drywall vs Plaster in Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a bathroom in a 1940s terraced property (approx 2.5 x 2.5 meters) which needs tiling. However the tiler has advised the plaster on two brick walls (one is party wall and the other is rear external wall with a window) should be removed because its loose and should be redone with dot and dab plasterboard.

My question is which is preferable in a bathroom. Having it removed and re-plastered using wet plaster or use dot and dab method using a dry wall?

I understand drywall is quicker but my concern is it will leave a cavity and the existing solid walls arn't exactly very sound proof.

any tips advice, pros and cons of each method on how to approach this task would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Everyone seems to drywall it these days, I have drywall in my bathroom and it's been fine for 20 years! I think the plasterboard was 'glued' onto the old plaster with board adhesive (d+d stuff).

If you are having floor to ceiling tiling, you will need to check it will support the weight of the tiles if you do d+d it.
Tiles weigh from 14Kg per metre + adhesive & grout.
If concerned about weight, you could put some battens on the wall, fix boards to battens etc.

I recently used a primer on some plasterboards, after being skimmed.
It leaves a water resistant surface (looks like it's been varnished!) £9 from wickes, a light blue liquid, by NX, can't remember name of it, will check.
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Norcros-Multi-Purpose-Primer-1LT/p/167675

I dont think dot and dab on to old plaster would be adequate because as you say it may not support weight of tiles. If I batten the walls and fix boards to battens it will reduce the size of the room but possibly still an option i suppose.

Sorry, was suggesting, once old plaster was removed/made good.

A 25x50mm batten would suffice, possibly thinner 18x38, both used for roofing, so you'd only be loosing say an inch, you'd have nice flat wall though.:D

Sponsored Links
if I'm removing old plaster, would it not be better to just re-plaster it considering they are only two small walls? How long does wet plaster normally take to dry?

Consider “tile backer” boards, rather than plasterboard. They are more moisture resistant. Either cement-based (“hardinacker” or similar) or insulated (“marmox”). This is most important in wetter areas e.g.behind a shower.

Wet plaster will take several weeks to dry out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back