Bonding & Plastering OR Dot & Dab? Pro and cons of each system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As I had now removed most of my hard plastering inside the house due of the age and completely came apart from the wall. I was suggested to use dot and dab plasterboard system instead of plastering the whole house.

Can someone advise on pro and cons of each method and which one would be the long lasting and better looking job.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What age is the house? This might be an opportunity to upgrade the insulation. dot n dab or mechanical fixing of plasterboard with 20mm of insulation can make a big difference on a poorly insulated wall.

What age is the house? This might be an opportunity to upgrade the insulation. dot n dab or mechanical fixing of plasterboard with 20mm of insulation can make a big difference on a poorly insulated wall.

1930`s . Cavity wall on ground floor and solid wall on first floor.

Sponsored Links
External only and then standard plasterboard on the internal walls - dot n dabbed or mechanically fixed. even 25mm will halve the U-value. a 9" wall is around 2.2 getting it under 1 will make a huge difference

Last edited:
less likely to crack, slightly annoying to attach fixtures, but apart from that plasterboard would be my choice of plaster any day. It also give you the chance to do any rewiring needed. Extra sockets etc.

Old plaster is quite toxic btw, it can burn the skin and even contain anthrax infected horse hair.

less likely to crack, slightly annoying to attach fixtures, but apart from that plasterboard would be my choice of plaster any day. It also give you the chance to do any rewiring needed. Extra sockets etc.

Old plaster is quite toxic btw, it can burn the skin and even contain anthrax infected horse hair.

Seriously, I have removed a lot of plaster with that **** horse hair and nobody never mentioned about the anthrax when made queries on another post.

Last edited:
To start I will have a go with Dot & Dab on my boiler service room. can anyone explain one plasterboard is fitted how to plaster it?

What product I have to buy and how many layers?

Can I just use the
British Gypsum Thistle Multi Finish Plaster - 25kg

or need some bonding coat first and then the finish?

Many Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back