No more rings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it true that in a few years the wiring regs will change and do away with ring mains?

Sponsored Links
and do what? make radials with 4.0mm for the sockets
Lets see, kitchen on a radial.....

Washing machine
Tumble Dryer
Dishwasher
Kettle
Toaster
Fridge
Freezer
and.....Tin Opener

Some load there.......

Sponsored Links
yep i heard that as well when i last did my test and inspection exam

and was also told that the person who wires the install will have to test it as well

none of that you wire it and then get the one person on the firm with test and inspection to go and test it

If true, it does seem to be the most amazing volte face on the part of the people who write the regs.

After all the years of banging on about what a superb scheme it is, and having all those restrictions on spurring off the ring, lest you soil its purity, all of a sudden it's history.

Did they explain why they are going (presumably that means banned in new installations, rather than retroactively ripped out of millions of buildings)?

As for the design/install/test division of labour, that seems to directly contradict what the proposals for Part P say - are you sure they weren't talking about the self-certification option?

PS - I've just emailed the IEE to ask about rings.

The IEE replied and said that there were no plans to do away with ring circuits.

hahah what a waist of a post

that is if there telling the truth

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back