No need to joint, does this sound right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a metal outbuilding which I use as a music stuido and home office. To improve the interior finish I have lined it with Knauf tappered edge accoustic plasterboard, which now needs jointing and doting prior to painting. My plan was to just joint it and paint, rather than a full skim.

But having never plastered before, I thought I'd get a professional in to do that part of the job for me. Especially as I have a skimming job in the house as well so I can combine them. After being let down by some local plasterers who never showed up, a neighbour had a roofer round whose company also does plastering, so he's said he'll quote for it.

However, after having a look he's said firstly that they don't usually bother to joint plasterboard these days, and secondly that it would be quicker and easier to just skim the whole room rather than jointing it and doting it. For ref the room is about 17' x 10', 2m meter high walls with just a single door and no windows. The job is all four walls plus the ceiling.

I guess if the first statement is true, so is the second. But I was under the impression you always needed to joint, hence I thought it would be quicker and cheaper to just do that and paint rather than a skim? Does this sound right, that if you are skimming it anyway can you skip jointing?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back