No nonsense

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Has anyone used the "no nonsense" range of products from the screwfix catalogue? If you have just wondering what you thought, especially on the caulk and grab adhesive products. Any comments would be helpful. Also, was given a tub of Dulux one coat satinwood by the client - couldn't use it. No body to the paint and the lay off was diabolical - why are these so called "one coats" exist when clearly one coat is never enough.

Sponsored Links
Hi

I find that the grab adhesive is totally CR*P and doesnt grab anything, this was on a range of materials and different tubes. Maybe others have had better luck but sorry would not recommend even when u use it the way they say

I find a lot of screwfix'es own brand stuff crap..

regards one coat paints...hmmm...they dont always do what they say on the tin, and if they do they often leave an artex like coating behind

Just look at what the trade use most..and it isnt one coat paint.

Christ Zamps I feel another Solo One Coat debate coming on again :rolleyes: Who was it that swore by the stuff again, sure he will let us know how great it is when he reads your post above :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Begins with G...and ends in er...lol

I remember when all this one coat stuff came out in the eighties...I said to an old hand...'have you heard about that new gloss that covers in one and dont need an undercoat?'

He said...'its been out years son...its called half an half!!'

Decorators will know what im on about..brilliant stuff when you up high..out of sight of a clerk of works...

Er...so im told.. ;)

DIYers...sorry...its a trade secret! lol

yeah I heard of that Zamps thought it was an old wives tale though can't say I've ever done it or seen it done. :eek: Thats my story and I'm sticking to it ;)

Hi

Has anyone used the "no nonsense" range of products from the screwfix catalogue? If you have just wondering what you thought, especially on the caulk and grab adhesive products. Any comments would be helpful. Also, was given a tub of Dulux one coat satinwood by the client - couldn't use it. No body to the paint and the lay off was diabolical - why are these so called "one coats" exist when clearly one coat is never enough.

Dulux Satinwood isn't a patch on Crown Solo Satin. You wont have any problems with this stuff or the gloss range unless an obvious change of colour. You don't need undercoat when using satin. These old duffers are so set in their ways that they undercoat everything, even when it doesn't need it.
Used Crown Solo thousands of times and have never had a problem with it and we are time served Painters and decorators. We've even heard folk slagging it off when they've never used it or used it incorrectly. :LOL:

Always helps if you're open minded and you know what you're doing. ;)

Old duffer eh???? :LOL:

Ive used Solo etc on and off for years..its ideal for getting you out of a tight spot..but be honest growler, you know as well as I do it never been the success the paint companies hoped for.

Its a glorified non drip..nothing more...and it doesnt always work either.

And unless to reallt rub down the previous coat first it peels very easy when scratched or rubbed down a few years down the line

It relies on its jelly like state to cover, theres nothing special about it as such, its just a paint that goes on thick, the paint film forms really fast...even though it takes longer to dry than normal gloss, so it doesnt sag.

Its been out, what 25 odd years?...hardly taken the industry by storm really has it...you still still cans in trade centres every now and then on special offer.

Remember the advert for it...two blokes painting a black wall with crown solo...im sure I could have got it to cover too if id have been using a four inch brush to hump the gloss on with.

And why are you still using it anyway :?: ...the trade has moved on...there are the modern water based solutions now..trouble is you old duffers are so set in your ways.... :evil:

;)

Zampa (47)

Ive used Solo etc on and off for years..its ideal for getting you out of a tight spot..but be honest growler, you know as well as I do it never been the success the paint companies hoped for.

And unless to reallt rub down the previous coat first it peels very easy when scratched or rubbed down a few years down the line

It relies on its jelly like state to cover, theres nothing special about it as such, its just a paint that goes on thick, the paint film forms really fast...even though it takes longer to dry than normal gloss, so it doesnt sag.

Its been out, what 25 odd years?...hardly taken the industry by storm really has it...you still still cans in trade centres every now and then on special offer.

Remember the advert for it...two blokes painting a black wall with crown solo...im sure I could have got it to cover too if id have been using a four inch brush to hump the gloss on with.

And why are you still using it anyway :?: ...the trade has moved on...there are the modern water based solutions now..trouble is you old duffers are so set in your ways.... :evil:

;)

Zampa (47)
Crown Solo gloss/satin, is without question the finest paint ever produced and I repeat it never peels. I've even put it on without rubbing down hundreds of times and never had a prob. My local dec shop now sells more than it ever has and the trade are eventually catching on. (Some of them still wont use rollers :LOL: )
I can "float it on" and get a mirror like finish and all my customers love the stuff.
As for the water based solutions and why I don't use them , well....I do, but nothing comes close to "Solo".
We've just done a 5 bed all the way through and finished all the woodwork, rads and doors with one coat of Crown Solo Self Undercoating Brilliant White Gloss to a beautiful standard. This could not have been achieved using a water based.

If you're ever round my way Zampa..... I'll show you how to use it and achieve a first class result.

Growler";p="838967 said:

;)

Zampa (47)
Crown Solo gloss/satin, is without question the finest paint ever produced and I repeat it never peels. I've even put it on without rubbing down hundreds of times and never had a prob. My local dec shop now sells more than it ever has and the trade are eventually catching on. (Some of them still wont use rollers :LOL: )
I can "float it on" and get a mirror like finish and all my customers love the stuff.
As for the water based solutions and why I don't use them , well....I do, but nothing comes close to "Solo".
We've just done a 5 bed all the way through and finished all the woodwork, rads and doors with one coat of Crown Solo Self Undercoating Brilliant White Gloss to a beautiful standard. This could not have been achieved using a water based.

If you're ever round my way Zampa..... I'll show you how to use it and achieve a first class result.[/quote]

Ive got hand it to you Growler...you've got some sauce! :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back