No nos for running 8 core alarm cable around the house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of a home renovation, I am running 8 core alarm cable around the house myself including to certain external walls to cater for external PIRs for an eventual Texecom alarm (to be wired up by a professional), before we plasterboard up.

I am doing this together with my building contractor (he drills all the holes and helps pull some of the cables through) in a star wiring method, to a central A/V room in the house.

I have avoided running the cable parallel to mains electrical cable, but can I pls confirm with some of you professionals here, the following in regards to avoiding interference with the alarm and false triggers etc:

1. Crossing a mains cable here or there to get across the house to the A/V room will not be a major issue
2. Running the alarm cable ALONG SIDE Cat 6, speaker cable, Coax cables or bell wire cable is ok?
3. In rare situation where we are limited by space or due to the cable run, an alarm cable might run along side a mains cable for a few meters and then split away from it when possible
4. Alarm cable run loosely with slack is ok and in some situations where the alarm cable is run more tightly (not the best method I know) is still ok if no pull pressure is being applied to it?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Ideally would be better to run screened 8 core for the ultimate protection but standard 8 core should be ok.

Crossing mains is ok, problems will only occur if running side by side on long distances.

LV cables like Cat6 or speaker cable are ok, but any cabling could pick up interference and transfer it to other cables but would be unlikely to cause any problems with alarm.

Cables are best to be slightly slack, not too tight as could break the cores over time.

Sounds like your doing it right.

Hi

I ended up using CQR professional cable. It's not shielded cable but it is more expensive than the standard shielded cable.

Thx.

Sponsored Links
Got them coming out of the corners of the plaster board so it shouldn't be that difficult!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back