8 core alarm cable for the cctv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, a friend if mine has bought a house, which has 8 core alarm cable run from (1) front of the house, (2) back of the house and (3) garden shed to the electrical cupboard underneath the stairs. The cables are just rolled up without any connectors/connections and it seems like it has never been used for anything.

Can these cables be used for the CCTV installation ?

Most of the Maplin CCTV kits I have come across use a coax cable with the BNC connector and a dc power connector.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

Sponsored Links
If it is solid core I.e the individual cables are not stranded then in theory yes you could use as a ethernet for a POE setup.

this is how the cable looks like
CB1147607-40.jpg

Sponsored Links
Using a balun to convert from co-ax ( un-balanced ) to twisted pair ( balanced ) you can send video over twisted pair in cables such as CAT 5 and even telephone cable.

balun.jpg

There is a small transformer inside the blue box that converts from un-balanced to balanced at the camera. Another balun does the opposite coversion at the other end.

Alarm cable is not made up of twisted pairs so is not really suitable for carrying video signals. That said if there is only one video and smooth DC power in the cable then reasonable quality video may be possible over a short distance if the cable is not close to power cables.

Best to install CAT 5 (or 6) copper cable ( not cheaper CCA Copper Coated Aluminium ).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back