Grounding CAT6a Cable for CCTV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've run S/FTP pure-copper CAT6a throughout the house for CCTV and wasn't sure how to maintain the interference shield that's inside the cable.

There is a multi-strand earth cable underneath the outer insulation of the cable, I can connect one side of this to the house earth, where does the other side connect to? The only place I can think is the outer of the camera BNC connector but not sure if that's correct.

Sponsored Links
The shield should be terminated either at the RJ45 connector or to the shield connector of the RJ45 face plate. Or wrapped around the aluminium foil of the cable. Have you used a balum to convert RJ45 to BNC or are you just terminating the CAT6 cable directly to a bnc/power connector?

I probably would not connect the shield wire to anything unless your getting some interference.

Yes normally I would see the shield getting crimped into the connector and it completing the ground circuit that way but in this case I'm doing the latter of what you said; using the copper pairs in the CAT6a to terminate directly to video and power.

Not had a chance to fire up the system yet and check if there is interference but as the cameras I am installing are quite high up, I would like to do all the connections (grounding included) in case I need them. If I don't, it's a bonus but it saves me going right up the ladder again!

Sponsored Links
Hallo
If all wireing is inside the house no need to ground the shield
If you want to do so, ground only one side of each cable (camera side or dvr/nvr side.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back