No of radiators on a spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise on the number of radiators which can be run from a 10mm spur off the 22mm main ring (probably the wrong terms, sorry). We have a system with 22mm feed and return pipework in the upper floor of the house (ceiling of the ground floor), there is then a 10mm feed and return off this main pipework to each radiator.

I am moving/installing additoinal radiators to improve heat distribution and rather than installing additional feed pipework for each radiator would like to run 3 rads off one 10mm feed and return. Is this possible or will this increase pressure on my pump and/or will the radiators be ineffective due to lack of flow?

Any help greatfully received before I set about making a mess! Can upload sketches if it will help.

Sponsored Links
eaton is quite correct, DO NOT run more than one rad off 10mm pipe, can you not increase the size of this pipe to 15mm then you'll get 2 rads running nicely from that

I read somewhere on this forum that they suggest a maximum of 2.3kW per 10mm feed? Therefore 2 smaller radiators could run off one spur. My only problem with putting 3 sets of 10mm downpipes in is the connections to the main 22mm ring and whether these should be staggered by any distance? I do have an area to box the pipes in so this is not a worry. Can I run 2 rads off a 15mm downpipe and the other off a 10mm?

Sponsored Links
could try, wouldnt take any notice of the kw advice, its simple really you can have a 22mm pipe and come off it straight away for up to roughly 20 rads and be fine, but 10mm will and should only do 1 rad max. Some plastic fittings ie speed fit have a 22mm fitting called a manifold and it has 4 holes to take 2 rads

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back