NO POWER AT THE TIMER PROGRAMMER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there - I wonder if you can assist me with my problems. I have a boiler Stelrad Ideal W and programmer with separate thermostat made by Drayton. The problem is that I have no power at all at the programmer. I have checked the mains fuse and this seems okay. I am baffled. Grateful for advice on what could have caused this and what possibly needs to be done. Due to this I cannot operate the central heating or hot water. My system has independent Hot water o central heating system with dual valves that controls this. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I have checked the mains fuse
Have you checked the fused spur a.k.a 'FCU' that feeds the power to your programmer and heating system? Its a bit like a light switch but with a fuse next to it. Sometimes theres just a fuse and no switch

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY. I HAVE CHECKED THE FUSED SPUR AND THERE IS NO POWER ON EITHER SIDE. I THEN CHECKED THE MAIN FUSE BOARD AND AGAIN I CANNOT FIND ANYTHING WRONG. SOMETHING HAS GONE WRONG SOMEWHERE AND I THINK THE ONLY WAY NOW IS FOR ME TO LIFT THE FLOOR BOARDS AND FOLLOW THE TRAIL OF THE WIRING FEEDING THE SPUR. I AM TOTALLY BAFFLED WTH THIS. MY SYSTEM HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR SOME 10 YEARS WITHOUT ANY HICCUPS.

I WAS ON THE IMPRESSION THAT POWER SHOULD GET TO THE FUSED SPUR FIRST AND THEN FROM HERE THAT IT GOES TO THE JUNCTION BOARD FOR DISTRIBUTING IT TO ALL THE CONTROLS, MOTORISED VALVES, PUMP, THERMOSTAT AND THE BOILER ITSELF. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY OTHER WAY? DOES ANYONE THING THAT IT COULD BE THE TIMER SWITH/PROGRAMMER ? THANKS

The feed should come from the fused spur to the programmer. Programmer then sends it to stat/s when it requires heat, stat/s sent it to zone valve/s they send it to boiler, boiler send it to pump if overrun.

No power either side of fused spur, but power out of distribution board, broken between the two.

Sponsored Links
Hi paul, Thanks for your response. I am not sure what you mean by your following statement "No power either side of fused spur, but power out of distribution board, broken between the two". Are you agreeing that there should be no power at either side of the fused spur? Could you please elaborate - I will really appreciate that. Many thanks.

I am reiterating what you said and drawing your attention to the obvious conclusion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back