No power on Miele washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone

From one day to the next my Miele washing machine (W919) has lost it's power. I've checked the fuse, the plug and the socket and all are fine.

Normally the power and display would come on when the door is closed but I can't close the door. I've read something about replacing the door interlock but that's all I've found.

Any ideas? I've booked an engineer to come out on Friday for an assessment (£60) but it will cost a minimum of £105 and whatever the part costs. The washing machine is a good 6-7 years old so I'm wondering if I'm better off getting a new one or if the problem is easy and not too expensive to fix.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
For anyone interested the engineer came over today and fixed the washing machine.

It turns out that it was door sensor which was £80. Total cost of the repair was £195 (£60 call out £55 labour) so an more than that and it would have been time for a new washing machine.

Hopefully it will last enough 5 years as it's only done 3000 hours of washing and Mieles are built to do up to 20,000 hours!

Hi,

Just registered to say thank you for posting this up.

My washing machine threw a wobbly this morning - after completing a wash, no lights on, nothing. Dead No lights Miele Novotronic W842

Checked the plug, fuse(s) and all fine. Put a meter on the On Off switch and there was 240V here and when the machine was switched on, the switch put the 240V into the board.

Strange. I took the machine apart and removed both boards, the EL200 and the microprocessor controlled brain display board.

I was stumped. I read your post and then it made sense, it could be the door interlock. If the machine thinks the door is open, everything will look dead, no lights, etc. Exactly my symptoms.

I looked at the wiring diagram which came with the machine and is located inside the front door and I could see the door solenoid also acts as a door switch. Tested this with the meter and it was an issue. Slammed door a few times and presto, it started working.

Put the machine back together and all good now. I know I may need to buy a door interlock at some point, but thanks to your information and pointer, I managed to get to the issue and get the machine going again.

Bingo. +1 for this.

In my case I'd had a power cut - no sign of life on the front panel. Checked fuses etc.

Slammed door a couple of times and it came back.

Sponsored Links
ugh - i have this same problem on my w1514 - many people seem to fix that with door slams too, but no amount of door slamming seems to have fixed it... Main board has 240v after the on/off switch. Door latch connects to main board at a little three pin connector, if i disconect that and test the wires I have about 120ohms steady between two contacts and between 4 and 12 ohms or nothing depending on state of door - does that sound about right for the doorlatch being ok? - does that then mean it's the logic board that's knackered and it's full cost time? what would you do?

Last edited:
With a w1514, when the door is open the panel is still lit up.

On older models when the door is open the panel appears dead.

I have experienced a couple of edpl200 type boards which have blown up.
On older machines when the fuse and or relay goes (typically when the shocks are worn) but newer machines the power control chip can end up blown. (TEA1522T is what was printed on it).

You can inspect the board but it involves removing the panel and removing the inner board and then removing the casing from the board (Which requires some care).

This chip is located close to the rotary switch.

A google of "edpl200 tea1522t" leads to pictures which may help.

Thank you so much, RichardMNZ.

You are right on the money for my W1512. I've ordered a replacement chip. A new board is more than what I paid for the machine. There was no way I was reading the code off the chip in its current state, so your post was a life saver.

Just wondering, have you had success replacing the chip itself, or is it a symptom of other issues on the board?

Attachments

• PXL_20211230_130151572.jpg
    PXL_20211230_130151572.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 634

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back