No radiator pressure - now no hot water

Sam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have just had some new radiators put in. They were apparently fully primed by the installer. I had noticed some leaking shortly after they were installed but I was told this had been fixed. I have had no hot water problems since the installation a week ago.

Last night I tried to turn on the central heating. After leaving it on for a long time the radiators were still cold. I bled them all and no water came out of them at all. So I suppose the system was not properly primed. The pressure reading on the boiler reads zero, so that seems a good bet. I don't have the tools to repair the leaking radiators so I don't want to fill up the system just yet.

However, I also now have no hot water. When the tap is turned on the boiler starts humming as usual, but there is no flame. Does the hot water system require the central heating to be properly pressurised in order to work, or are they independent of each other? There is a red gadget in the boiler box which looks like a pump, which seemed to me to be too hot - does this mean it needs to be primed with water too? How do you do that?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you got no water in the system, I would get the plumber back in as he didn't tested the system

Quite.
No you can't have HW without the boiler being pressurised. Boiler won't light.

What would be worrying me is "WHERES THE WATER GONE!!!!"

Sponsored Links
Gees said:
"WHERES THE WATER GONE!!!!"

I think the water has not been commission in the system correctly when works was done to it only part water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back