No RCD - Implications?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have no RCD on our electrics - I imagine it's been this way since it was built in the 60s?
What are the implications and what can I do to avoid a problem?
I may move out but if I stay or rent it out I'm assuming a rewire is needed? Can anyone clarify and suggest any safety precautions?

Screen Shot 2023-09-10 at 20.56.53.png

In house ^^^^

Screen Shot 2023-09-10 at 20.56.40.png

In garage ^^^^

Sponsored Links
You have an RCBO in circuit 6 so that has RCD protection.

I would recommend an EICR

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Immediately or when renting or selling?

Any equipment to avoid using on this set up?

That’s up to you.

Immediately for your own curiosity / safety
Renting the requirement is to have a satisfactory EICR
Selling - not necessary to have an EICR but the buyer would probably get one done

As for equipment - what do you mean

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
That’s up to you.

Immediately for your own curiosity / safety
Renting the requirement is to have a satisfactory EICR
Selling - not necessary to have an EICR but the buyer would probably get one done

As for equipment - what do you mean
Will an EICR likely recommend work doing?
I probably should have had one done a couple of years ago when we bought however we were in a bidding war so paid over the market value.

Would any equipment likely overload it or cause hazard. E.g. I want to use a powerful floor sander etc to renew hardwood floors.

Will an EICR likely recommend work doing?
I probably should have had one done a couple of years ago when we bought however we were in a bidding war so paid over the market value.

Would any equipment likely overload it or cause hazard. E.g. I want to use a powerful floor sander etc to renew hardwood floors.

An EICR will highlight issues and non compliances to the current regulations.

You should act on any C1 and C2 codes

Apart from the lack of RCD's, there is nothing in your pics to make me start thinking you are likely to have problems.
Obviously I'm not saying everything is ok as I can't tell that from here.

Apart from the lack of RCD's, there is nothing in your pics to make me start thinking you are likely to have problems.
Obviously I'm not saying everything is ok as I can't tell that from here.
I would agree with that, nothing jumps out as being wrong, we went for years without RCD's and SPD's without any real problems.

I have RCBO's actually not as good as one you have, mine is type AC yours is type A. I looked up the number here so £33 each, that is hardly going to break the bank. £198 for all 6. Plus fitting of course, if the garage MCB done in house then garage is covered.

Possibly cheaper to swap whole consumer unit as wylex not cheapest make, but that's up to you or your electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back