No real alternatives to fossil fuels ..

whose leader wants someone else to insulate his house for him, free, because he hasn't done it.
HE doesn't value it very highly, then.

Their website is

That might be, but that doesn't mean it's a bad idea to insulate.

Sponsored Links
Gas boilers banned......heat pumps as an alternative ....rubbish.

Too low a temperature heat out put to be any use in typical British homes good on Swedish highly insulated homes but not here.

Can't be used on micropore systems, rads need to be bigger or underfloor wet heating with its associated costs.

Open up coal mines and convert power stations to run on coal again ......its a 'flash' process ....the ignition of coal dust.

Why ? here's why
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/10/08/burning-renewable-biomass-power-emits-co2-coal/

We produce 2% of the worlds production of C02.

This little island's contribution is so small......
These eco warriors need to go to China and protest there.

France wants to cut off electric supplies here....get the damn power stations working with coal !
Good job there are plans to install carbon capture in the Humber region (including Drax) for all major industrial sources then.

Also, why would burning coal in a power staion help to heat homes that use gas? All it would do would be to increase global warming even more.
And we would likely have to import the coal at great expense.

To address the issue of heating homes, there are also plans to inject hydrogen into the gas network, to lower the carbon footprint of our boilers.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Apparently the government is to announce a 5 grand subsidy to any one who replaces a gas boiler with a leccy heat pump

It will probably end up as a turkey most of these government backed schemes do

by the time admin pencil pushers get there snouts in the trough and the endless paper work / red tape is filled in

We're busy winding nuke power stations down. The accidents are a bit off-putting, plus it's expensive. Solar is getting cheaper. Storage problems of course...

Yes I think we're witnessing the beginning of the end of the human race's "success" story. Even if everyone wasn't too greedy to stop trashing the place, it's too late now. It was always bound to happen sooner or later, so why not let it happen now? Future generations will just have to deal with the inevitable, whatever that is.

Essay for homework: If we all died tomorrow, would it matter?
Yes, purely from a world perspective, this would be a very big positive. Humankind, no matter how 'green' we try to be, can only ever have a negative impact on the planet. Yes this impact might lessen as the years/decades go by if current activities decrease, but overall our impact is negative.

Actually, although there are many decent people in the world, I sometimes think with all socioeconomic, cultural, religious and other issues going on in the world, it would be a positive all round if we vanished overnight, all of us, every single one of us. Gone.

There, I've cheered everyone up :)

We're busy winding nuke power stations down.
The accidents are a bit off-putting, plus it's expensive.
Solar is getting cheaper. Storage problems of course...
Nuclear power is the safest energy source we have.

Nuclear power is the safest energy source we have.

There is no reason why nuclear power plants can't be the size of a pair of semis, except the will to do it. They fit em in subs ok. There are security 'dirty bomb' risks etc, but hey ho.

Added to which, we need to realise that if we are to save the planet, we may have to pay 10 or 50 times what we pay now for energy. And adjust the economy to make it work. Or make it all free at the point of use, and tax massively to state run/oversee the infrastructure.

MOD has been managing nuclear reactors for decades and the Old Naval College Greenwich had a mini reactor for research and training purposes for many years. These could be installed nationwide to add to the UK energy mix relatively quickly.

I thought nuke too, but apart from the myriad problems, renewables are cheaper now.
Sub reactors are very expensive, but size isn't very important for normal use.

Big wind turbines are quite good. Wind is more reliable offshore but they obvs cost more.
Look up perovskite panels, they should be a few times better than we have now.
Solar reflectors, onto generating panels, may get used. Maybe not in the UK so much!

Last edited:
The issue may well be these air source heat pumps in commercial buildings

schools in particular for hot water ?

they will have to use immersion heaters during the day ? or part of the day

afaik ashp will not get the water to the required temperature ?

than there is cooking on gas , will that get banned as well ?

ASHP may be easier to get into commercial buildings, but a lot of them already have aircon so some is there.
I did check some numbers. There are lots on hmg site. Hot water is a small fraction of heating, and commercial is a small fraction of domestic. So not so much to win there.

afaik ashp will not get the water to the required temperature ?
I keep on about Zeolite, plant. You make the stuff wet (zorb it) and it gets hot like 70°. Then you use low grade heat like solar or ashp to dry it out. Vaillant made a trial design. From memory that was £20k and would suit say a block of flats.

From the numbers I looked at, social housing is something like 20%. Carbon footprint of heating is hard to get to because the electric part is counted in power generation, not domestic heating. It depends what you can do to your house - I've got solid walls... The saving might be of the order of 3% in my estimation, of the country's footprint if we insulated the council houses better. How much would it cost? How much from/for carbon sequestration from power plants? I don't know. and on and on - I don't know. And what would the cost be and how does that compare? I don't know. I have looked several up but I'm too old to remember them for long.
These things all need to be analysed and quantified WAY before anyone glues themself to a ****ing road. Lots of things seem like they would be a good idea but trotting them out like a 7 year old is dumb.

Sponsored Links
Back