No signal on Freeview TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 3 year old Samsung TV with built in digital receiver, it never was that good, frequent pixilation so I bought a Freeview digital receiver from Argos which worked perfectly at my old property.

I have moved to a different property and if I plug the arial lead from the TV to the socket on the wall I get a message saying "no or weak signal".

I connected it up through the freeview digital box and get the same message.

The arial on the outside of the house is pointing in the same direction as the rest of the road.
There are 2 TV sockets in the bungalow, one on the lounge and one in the kitchen but both give the same error message.

I was hoping I could fix this without having to call someone out.
Is there something obvious I am not doing? Do the Arial connections on the wall have to be turned on somewhere?

Sponsored Links
Arial is a computer typeface. You need an aerial.

You haven't mentioned tuning your receiver, which will be essential if you are using the signal from a different transmitter.

It's quite possible that there's a masthead amplifier that requires power. It's common for previous owners to steal the Power supply Unit. If that's the case you'll have to get your solicitor to demand its return or buy a replacement.
http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page11c.htm#singlepsu

For any other information, see:
http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/freeview_problems.htm

Thank-you for the reply.

When I bought the TV 3 years ago and plugged it in, I think it auto tuned the channels.

Anyway I have just gone to Menu, tune, auto tune, it asked to the security code which is 0,0,0,0 and have just finished auto tuning it.
No channels were found.

I went in the loft and there is an Antiference 4 way masthead amplifier up there, the green LED is not illuminated, is it supposed to be?

I received a letter yesterday from the Solicitor who did the conveyancing and in the letter it said she would be happy to contact the buyers solicitor if anything was missing but of course there will be a charge.

On the first link you provided to the single output power supply, I see I plug it into a socket, do I need to connect it to the masthead amplifier in the loft?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply,

Will there be a problem if I buy a FRINGE P1285 IEC 85MA AERIAL MASTHEAD POWER UNIT to go with my Antiference 4 way masthead amplifier, or does the PSU need to Antiference too?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back