NO SIGNAL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into another house and the digital tv arial is in the loft
in the two bedrooms and the living room are tv sockets
in the loft there is a triax mfa 322 mast amplifier..its on the floor of the loft

triax-mfa-322_ies1007.jpg

even though this seems connected correctly 1 in and 3 of the 4 out
i cant seem to see any sign of a power source near the unit or the aerial

consequently when i tuned in all my dtv stations..there werent any and i got the screen message
no signal

there also is an external satellite dish and the cable for this comes into the house through the wall...and even this connected to my satellite socket on my tv...no stations tuned in and also the message no signal

in my old house i did have my tv set up for satellite and dtv and it worked ok

my tv is a toshiba 40 TL 968 about 3 years old

really i am quite content with the dtv as the satellite programme list was of no intrest

cheers
geof

Sponsored Links
There's a piece missing. It's the power supply. It looks like a power brick but with aerial sockets. Because these things live behind or near one of the TVs people often mistake them for a "booster" and so take them with the TV when they move.

The good news is that they're not expensive and they're universal too, so you can simply buy a replacement from lots of other brands that will work quite happily with the masthead amp that you have. There's some on this page http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page11c.htm scroll down to '12 volt 100mA Power Supply'. Depending on what the previous occupant took with them then you might need some cables too. The way these things wire up is that there's a link cable with the TV coax plug on one end and a screw-type F connector on the other. This goes from the TV to the booster socket market TV (pretty obvious, I know ;) ). Next, the cable coming in to the room from the loft or wherever the aerial amp is located needs to be connected to the other socket (Aerial in / UHF in / Antenna In / RF In ... it's all the same). This cable will have a screw-type F connector too. Some house have the cable coming straight out of the wall. Others have a wall socket with an aerial coax connection. If it's the latter in your case then another short linking cable with the appropriate sex of coax plug on the end will do the trick.

No such thing. (Apart from the fact that arial is a computer type face) there is no such thing as a digital aerial. An aerial just receives RF signals and cannot determine whether they are digital or analogue.

No such thing. (Apart from the fact that arial is a computer type face) there is no such thing as a digital aerial. An aerial just receives RF signals and cannot determine whether they are digital or analogue.

sorry boss...i should have said an aerial which has an array for digital signals...
i think the analogue one is sort of H shaped?

anyway please solve my problem or resign...:D

cheers
geof

Sponsored Links

i should have said an aerial which has an array for digital signals...

No such thing.

An H aerial can receive analogue or digital at the design frequency.

As I said:

An aerial just receives RF signals and cannot determine whether they are digital or analogue.

As already mentioned this amplifier requires a power supply fed up one of the leads. This is probably the supply you need as it is made by the same company as made the mast head amplifier.

http://www.rwtech-services.com/epag...bjectPath=/Shops/BT3625/Products/triaxpowunit

All aerials receive analogue carrier signals at radio frequency. The signal modulated on the carrier may be digital or analogue. The H aerials were used for Band 1 and Band II signals used on the old 405 line system.

http://www.oldtellys.co.uk/otfrequenc.html

There's a piece missing. It's the power supply. It looks like a power brick but with aerial sockets. Because these things live behind or near one of the TVs people often mistake them for a "booster" and so take them with the TV when they move.

The good news is that they're not expensive and they're universal too, so you can simply buy a replacement from lots of other brands that will work quite happily with the masthead amp that you have. There's some on this page http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page11c.htm scroll down to '12 volt 100mA Power Supply'. Depending on what the previous occupant took with them then you might need some cables too. The way these things wire up is that there's a link cable with the TV coax plug on one end and a screw-type F connector on the other. This goes from the TV to the booster socket market TV (pretty obvious, I know ;) ). Next, the cable coming in to the room from the loft or wherever the aerial amp is located needs to be connected to the other socket (Aerial in / UHF in / Antenna In / RF In ... it's all the same). This cable will have a screw-type F connector too. Some house have the cable coming straight out of the wall. Others have a wall socket with an aerial coax connection. If it's the latter in your case then another short linking cable with the appropriate sex of coax plug on the end will do the trick.

brilliant!!
your explanation makes sense to me... and i can now see why there is a digital aerial cable near the tv having an F connector!! this is where the chap must have connected to the booster...the other end of this cable goes under the carpet to the other side of the room where the coax wall socket from the loft is..
so
i buy the booster with a link cable..tv coax/F...and i already have the F/ wall coax cable in house

what has me also a bit uncertain of is why my tv wont download programmes from the satellite dish
its cable comes along the outside of the house and through the wall in the corner the tv will be
does this also need a booster??

my last house had a satellite dish and the tv scanned and found loads of free programmes....loads of stv,bbc and others .. etc.

what would you say might i have to investigate this installation...the tv has a selector for satellite/digital/am and has two sockets on the back...the coax for the digital and an f for the satellite cable
cheers
geof

i should have said an aerial which has an array for digital signals...

No such thing.

An H aerial can receive analogue or digital at the design frequency.

As I said:

An aerial just receives RF signals and cannot determine whether they are digital or analogue.

i apologise, afterwards as i was answering the previous post solution...the penny dropped..since my television gives me that choice..digital or analogue...
sorry
cheers
geof

As already mentioned this amplifier requires a power supply fed up one of the leads. This is probably the supply you need as it is made by the same company as made the mast head amplifier.

http://www.rwtech-services.com/epag...bjectPath=/Shops/BT3625/Products/triaxpowunit

All aerials receive analogue carrier signals at radio frequency. The signal modulated on the carrier may be digital or analogue. The H aerials were used for Band 1 and Band II signals used on the old 405 line system.

cheers...ah the old 405...you could check your low camera speeds with them
thanks
geof

big thanks...i have just ordered one
cheers
geof

brilliant!!
your explanation makes sense to me... and i can now see why there is a digital aerial cable near the tv having an F connector!! this is where the chap must have connected to the booster...the other end of this cable goes under the carpet to the other side of the room where the coax wall socket from the loft is..
so
i buy the booster with a link cable..tv coax/F...and i already have the F/ wall coax cable in house

what has me also a bit uncertain of is why my tv wont download programmes from the satellite dish
its cable comes along the outside of the house and through the wall in the corner the tv will be

my last house had a satellite dish and the tv scanned and found loads of free programmes....loads of stv,bbc and others .. etc.

what would you say might i have to investigate this installation...the tv has a selector for satellite/digital/am and has two sockets on the back...the coax for the digital and an f for the satellite cable
cheers
geof
I'm glad it's all starting to come together. Just to be clear though, you need to buy a power supply (see the previous link) rather than a "booster". I used that word simply to highlight why these things often go missing. The power supply doesn't boost (or amplify) the signal itself. It simply acts as the device to inject a voltage in to the cable to enable the box in the loft to do the actual work of amplification.

Your satellite signal cable is a different kettle of fish all together. For basic Freesat all that's required is the same type of dish and LNB as used for Sky and a suitable cable from there back to the receiver device which in your case is the TV. The dish has to be pointing in the correct direction, and the LNB should be at the correct skew angle (rotation within the ring mount). If the dish was professionally installed then the skew should have been set correctly, so even if the dish itself is out of alignment then the skew will still be correct once the dish is point back where it should be.

One of the biggest differences with LNBs compared to TV aerials is that the LNB requires power. It is an active receiving device because it converts the signal being received in to a different form that can then be used by your TV's satellite tuner. If the TV isn't supplying that power (check your TV menus), or there's a problem with the cable stopping the power reaching the LNB, or simply that the LNB is broken then you won't get a signal. This presumes of course that the TV is tuned to receive satellite signals in the first place. So whenever taking on someone else's satellite dish/LNB/cable there's always going to be an element of the unknown.

brilliant!!
so

cheers
geof
I'm glad it's all starting to come together. Just to be clear though, you need to buy a power supply (see the previous link) rather than a "booster". I used that word simply to highlight why these things often go missing. The power supply doesn't boost (or amplify) the signal itself. It simply acts as the device to inject a voltage in to the cable to enable the box in the loft to do the actual work of amplification.

Your satellite signal cable is a different kettle of fish all together. For basic Freesat all that's required is the same type of dish and LNB as used for Sky and a suitable cable from there back to the receiver device which in your case is the TV. The dish has to be pointing in the correct direction, and the LNB should be at the correct skew angle (rotation within the ring mount). If the dish was professionally installed then the skew should have been set correctly, so even if the dish itself is out of alignment then the skew will still be correct once the dish is point back where it should be.

One of the biggest differences with LNBs compared to TV aerials is that the LNB requires power. It is an active receiving device because it converts the signal being received in to a different form that can then be used by your TV's satellite tuner. If the TV isn't supplying that power (check your TV menus), or there's a problem with the cable stopping the power reaching the LNB, or simply that the LNB is broken then you won't get a signal. This presumes of course that the TV is tuned to receive satellite signals in the first place. So whenever taking on someone else's satellite dish/LNB/cable there's always going to be an element of the unknown.

thanks again...i think i will get the chap who sold me the tv and set it up in my last house to come and do the same..he is local and a decent dealer
as for the 'booster'...i do see i was using the wrong word
the link i got from the post from bernardgreen got me this...which i ordered
and you are right its a power supply

F100-1-triax-power-unit-12v-100mA_ml.jpg

will be back soon with the good news...thanks to all
cheers
geof

[QUOTE="mrcrow, post: 3512322, member: 11

thanks again...i think i will get the chap who sold me the tv and set it up in my last house to come and do the same..he is local and a decent dealer
as for the 'booster'...i do see i was using the wrong word
the link i got from the post from bernardgreen got me this...which i ordered
and you are right its a power supply

F100-1-triax-power-unit-12v-100mA_ml.jpg

will be back soon with the good news...thanks to all
cheers
geof[/QUOTE]

where is it?? been nearly a week now and i am missing all those columbo reruns

o_O

I know with mother house the mast head amplifier is powered from the TV. I had to go into the TV menu to turn on the power, but I can see how the power supply could be missing if previous people used the TV to power it.

I know with mother house the mast head amplifier is powered from the TV. I had to go into the TV menu to turn on the power, but I can see how the power supply could be missing if previous people used the TV to power it.
will check that once i get the beast running again
cheers
geof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back