no spin on washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
afternoon all. It says my problem in the title. I have no spin on my washing machine. Basically it washes but when it should spin it just very slowly turns (as if it was washing ) Am I correct in saying its the brushes? I'm a spark so hopefully something within my capabilities. Any advice would be great. The machine is an indecent or something. .

Sponsored Links
Yes brushes are suspect but check to make sure all water has drained from the tub as the programme starts spin mode. If it has not ( for example a partial or complete blockage in the pump/hose )the machine will not go into high spin.

Ok, there doesn't seem to be any water nor any blockage that i can see. Is there an easy way to access the brushes. I have the back off but can't get good access to the cables. Is ok to put the machine on its side? I mean it won't damage the drum? The machine is a Zunussi Electrolux by the way. Can anyone help?

Ok, I have found the brushes, i haven't removed them but the look like there is plenty of carbon left on them from what i can see looking at the side. I have though found a plastic ball kinda like a clear large golf ball located in the waste pipe directly where is comes from the bottom of the drum. I can't see anyway that this could get in there so i'm thinking it should be there? Can anyone help. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
yes that plastic ball is part of the machine and should be there. Electrolux is not a make I have worked on but if the brushes have plenty of life in them and the water is completely drained out of the tub before spin part of programme then it is time to be looking at other things starting with the programmer or if this is an electronic machine the pcb and software.

Hmmm. Well, is that a job that i an do do you think? I'm an electrician but don't know anything about these machines. I had the machine all apart and put it back together and its working now. Strange. It which case maybe this is the programmer etc as the problems now seems to be intermitant. I will see how it goes. If it does go again what is my next step? Is it something i can do or shaould i call in the pro's?
Thanks Tockworth

I have had this problem with previous machines ( CANT REMEMBER WHAT MAKE?) On the back of the drum there should be a plastic tube going to what is a pressure switch. Sometimes the point of where the tube comes of the drum gets blocked hence the pressure switch thinks that there is still a level in the drum and stops it from the spin cycle. Hope this helps.

If this is now an intermittent fault then the pressure switch could be a suspect. the pressure switch comprises of a small reservoir situated at the very bottom front of the tub from that a vertical plastic tube connected up to the switch itself. The switch has two states when the tub is empty of water the switch is in state 1 and when the tub fills with water the water level rises simultaneously in the tube compressing the air in the tube thus flipping the diaphram switching into state 2.this is monitored by the programmer to enable or disable the next part of the programme cycle. things that can go wrong
1: small leak in tube .
2: small debris (thread or minute bit of fabric etc) floating about in the reservoir and intermittently blocking the tube.
3: switch diaphram sticking/sluggish
The problem with the diy'er is that unlike the washing machine tech he does not have a full kit of spares available to him and the tech has the advantage of being able to piggyback components temporaraly to eliminate or verify his diagnosis.In your case the only advice I can give is to first check the reservoir and tube to make sure it is clear of debris that may be floating about and intermittently blocking the tube.

Ok thanks tock i will try that when the problem re occurs. Thanks for your help ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back