No tongue and groove at the edges - acceptable?

R

richard7761

I'm going to re-floor the landing with t&g floorbpoards.

But, if I buy floorboards to hand, it would mean that although the boards would interlock there would be no interlocking at the edges, near the walls. Because the width of the boards won't allow for an exact fit.

Is that acceptable? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You are confusing the issue. Why not post pics of the landing? Indicate exactly what you propose to do?
Its best to keep your posts on one thread.

Here is a picture of the situation more or less.

The top picture shows as it was. The entire landing and in fact the whole of the flooring upstairs is interlocked.

The bottom picture shows what it might look like. Anyway, the thing to note is that it will likely turn out that there is no interlocking along the edges on the landing area, which are at or near the walls. or at thresholod of doors.

It's like putting together 4m x 270mm sheet of t&g flooring and dropping it onto the landing area. That would mean no interlocking at the edges.

Issue is whether that is okay.

I'd assume - probably.

20mm thick pinewood.

I still dont know if i understand - the first and last boards can be ripped at the walls(?).
The ripped boards are face nailed down, the nailing can be hidden by skirting or scotia.

If the skirting is off then leave an expansion gap of say 10mm.

Or is the difficulty happening where you go thro doorways ?

Given that its a landing then where does the stairwell and ballisters come into this?

Sponsored Links
Lots of 19th century houses had square-edged floorboards. The odd missing tongue isn't going to cause you any issues. In fact it's common when lengths of board have been removed for access to services, or when a new floor has been laid to provide access. For example when I replaced worn out chipboard with proper boards in our bedrooms, I removed tongues from entire lengths of board so they could be removed for access to central heating plumbing, and wiring.

Cheers
Richard

What it is, is that my new PTG flooring may not interlock with the floor along each side of the area I'm laying. As it happens each side will run close to the walls on the landing. As I say that will be like dropping PTG flooring into the area in question, because there won't be any interlocking at any edge of the area, only inside the area.

Unless someone were to say different, I should be okay I muse, I should not get a problem just because the edges are not interlocked with the rest of the flooring.

The main thing is the new flooring will be interlocked within it's area. And that should be good enough.

Just to be perfectly clear, you're replacing the floorboards in the upper picture with wider floorboards as in the lower picture?

Just to be perfectly clear, you're replacing the floorboards in the upper picture with wider floorboards as in the lower picture?

Yes. The upper picture shows the landing as it was. Of course, the whole floor level is interlocked, when the floor was layed when the house was built.

The bottom one shows me replacing with to-hand floorboards. That could mean there is likely to be no interlocking on both long edges of the landing area. As pointed out in the bottom picture.

I'm assuming that because the two long edges are the only places where there is no interlocking, that won't be a problem. It's like me just dropping into the landing area PTG flooring. With no interlocking at the edges.

You've only got maybe 400mm or less between joists where the board edges aren't supported by tongues into the next board at the threshholds - it's not going to be an issue.

You've only got maybe 400mm or less between joists where the board edges aren't supported by tongues into the next board at the threshholds - it's not going to be an issue.

Yes, I measaured the joist distances and they are 400mm. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back