No trickle vents

Thanks for your insight, Freddie. I hadn't realised that building regulations varied throughout the country.

The building regulations are a national specification & they dont vary throughout the country (except Scotland). As with all specifications, what varies is their interpretation & the understanding of local BC officers, some of whom seem to be incompetent idiots. If you have a good understanding of the regs, never be afraid to challenge local interpretation; at least it will make the officer go away & check it properly.

Sponsored Links
Thanks 2 all of you for an enlightening series of answers. :)

the regs only applied for new build. some local autorities insist but doc l clearly stated what is what, and with replacement windows if none are present in existing, you do not have to fit them in replcement as you cannot make windows any worse than existing, ie openers for fire escape etc. but it is good practice to bring all replacement installations up to the current regs. as quoted by our local building inspector

Thanks Nick, I completely agree, but I just needed to know if trickle vents are a Building Regs requirement. I had upvc windows installed without them and the room is now as you'd expect from lack of ventilation.

FENSA inspectors like you to have TV's in bathrooms/shower rooms, kitchens and utilities. In other words, anywhere that gets steamy. You don't have to have one on every window in the house unless its a new build.

Plenty of Google copy and paste people in here. :) Unless there has ever been a damp or condensation problem, just have them in the rooms I mentioned above.

unless there are 20 people in every room having an orgy, I wouldn't worry about breathable condensation. :rolleyes:

As freddymerc said, just call your local council who will advise. We do part time fensa FMB inspections. I'll try and dig out our guidelines (Birmingham) tomorrow and post them if I get a chance. :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back