Trickle Vents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do building regs require that trickle vents are to be fitted on new replacement upvc windows? We have got quotes from 2 local window companies and conflicting advice.

Sponsored Links
In new builds yes!
replacement units only require vents where the existing units are vented.

In new builds yes!
replacement units only require vents where the existing units are vented.

Isn't it the case that the requirement is for a certain amount of ventilation to the *space*, and trickle vents are just a common way to achieve this?

I had a refurb signed off with new windows (where no windows had been before) with no vents, on the basis that we had large air bricks with hit and miss vents in the walls.

Cheers
Richard

Have a read here.

The Building Regulations in England & Wales for Ventilation changed in April 2006
Not only are homes becoming better built to save energy, They must also be better ventilated to protect our health. The revised Regulations mean that in most circumstances, new windows will have to be supplied with trickle vents fitted.

Sponsored Links
If background ventilation can be provided elsewhere, then trickle vents are not required. However, as trickle vents most commonly come fitted with new units, it's easier to have them there, then looking into air bricks (for example). And... if you live adjacent a main road/highway, you may want to look at fitting acoustic vents.

Hi Guys,

I have just completed my extension and have the building inspector coming around next week. I hate the sight of trickle vents and don't want them but don't want the inspector to get hung up on this. Can I stick these on temporarily and if so, how do i do these so I can remove without any permanent damage?

We fitted windows on a new extension and the customer was certain he did not want trickle vents fitted. The building inspector said if we could prove that the customer got as much air flow using the night vent as the trickle vent he would allow no vents. Night vent got 3 times more air flow. Cant see why trickle vents are still around.

Certass have told me that night latch would fail a Certass inspection , but LABC have told a customer that night latchs pass..... Go figure lol!

Night vent got 3 times more air flow. Cant see why trickle vents are still around.

Maybe because the night latch is letting in/out 3 times as much air as necessary, and also 3 times more heat and noise?

If your cold yes. Same as if your asleep and you get hot you get up and open the window. You do know night vent can br locked in that position.

We fitted windows on a new extension and the customer was certain he did not want trickle vents fitted. The building inspector said if we could prove that the customer got as much air flow using the night vent as the trickle vent he would allow no vents. Night vent got 3 times more air flow. Cant see why trickle vents are still around.
Could you not still the air round the windows, or do you just part waters;)

I got replacement windows and building control have advised that the replacement windows should meet current minimum building control regs NI 2012 which states trickle vents.

The company did not offer the option but I do require them due to air flow / humidity in rooms.

Should I have been at least offered trickle vents as an option? I understand I do not need building control approval for replacement windows but I would assume the company should have at least met minimum standards or even offered them as an option?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back