No venting on soil stack

Just had a look at the plans again...

The foul is running the opposite way to what I had assumed so the ventilated stack is at the HEAD of the drain. The drawing has the ventilated stack (upstairs ensuite), and a stub stack (downstairs WC). I'm fairly sure that there is only the one (these are slightly outdated plans). This is all "new" pipework (circa 2000) and it runs to the existing access chamber which is now situated in the kitchen extension. These plans show the stub stack (upstairs bathroom) on the opposite end of the bathroom and connecting in the same access chamber. This isnt the case as it connects further down and obviously not accessible.

So the question is "does the ventilated stack make up for no ventilation on the stub stack?"

Attachments

• IMG_20180415_174852.jpg
    IMG_20180415_174852.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
So the drain run shown to the right of the drawing, going vertically off the page is the head of the run and is vented? Assuming so, then this will suffice to ventilate the drainage system, but I'd still want an AAV as a minimum on the stack you're proposing to alter. It would likely be rare, but not impossible, both WC's were flushed simultaneously, and doing so could cause one or both to have the trap pulled. A single WC can cause an AAV to 'chatter' as it opens to allow air in behind the discharge.

There is the option of using a double 45 junction, whilst not ideal, if fitted with a slight fall, it may be enough to prevent any crossflow from the WC's, I'd be interested to know if anyone has used one in a semi horizontal plane without problems. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263572712408?clk_rvr_id=1500691663904&rmvSB=true

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Yup, I double checked in the loft last night. There are open two vent pipes inside the stud walling (80mm) about 1m apart but only one is in use judging by the smell!

I'm with you on the AAV so I will try my best to find a way to install one. I'm going to pick up a few joints and some pipe today and see if theres any way I can run two pipes through the existing hole side by side, and then open them up on the other side in to two T junctions next to each other. Theres plenty of fall on the external run.

I would presume the AAV needs to be upstream of the furthest toilet as well?

Sponsored Links
I've seen loads on the double ones fitted horizontally in commercial places. Suprisingly they do seem to work and the ones I have unblocked have been either due to scale build up from urinals or wipes being flushed and stuck.

If you could 30deg on one I think it would be fine. With a longer run into it, so further from the toilet, even better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back