No water coming from hot tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've looked at similar posts but not seeing anything exactly the same as this. A while back we had a friend do a repair on our toilet and at the same time he put in a stop valve because he said we didn't have one. Not too long after the water in the hot tap stopped running. I can't be certain they're connected because I didn't pay attention to how long after it that happened so I'm not ruling out a coincidence. Someone advised me to turn the cold tap on, open the hot tap and push the water back up but that hasn't helped. If it's any use, we're on a conventional gas boiler and its upstairs. Would be grateful for any pointers.

Sponsored Links
So your domestic hot water come from storage via a cylinder?
and when the toilet was fitted, the plumber installed a stop tap on the rising main/incoming cold water supply.
How long has the hot water not been available and has anything of the plumbing been worked on recently?
No water at all at hot taps?

Yes PrenticeBoyofDerry it comes from a cylinder and yes the stop tap was fitted on the incoming cold pipe. It's been like that about a year, we havent bothered until now because we'd planned on a full new bathroom anyway but that's been put on hold. There's been no other plumbing done and the downstairs tap is fine.

Sponsored Links
About a year and a half, didn't realise it was so long! I've just been using the shower for hot water upstairs when needed and we have no problem with the downstairs hot tap.

So you get hot water at the kitchen sink, is the shower electric?
You get no water, hot or cold at the bath and basin hot water taps?

Yes hot water at the kitchen sink and the shower is electric (no bath). Cold water tap upstairs is working fine.

Sorry I don't know what you mean by tap 'tails'. I'm a complete novice

Hey it's fine, thanks for taking the time to try and help. I'll call a plumber in.

Hey it's fine, thanks for taking the time to try and help. I'll call a plumber in.
Stick with prenticeboy of derry but take some pics if possible he will get you there you just need to give him more information

Ok guys thanks. I appreciate it must be a bit frustrating for the folks in the know but I'm here to learn! I think pictures are the way to go. I'll get on it.

Ok here goes. The first picture is the pipe that our friend fitted around a year and a half ago. He said he'd fitted a stop valve at the same time. The second picture is the hot water pipe coming from the tap and the third picture is just the bottom half of that pipe. Is this any good? IMG_20161114_192007.jpg IMG_20161114_192306.jpg IMG_20161114_192550.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back