Hot Water Tap wont switch off - water pressure problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would be grateful if anyone can offer advice please :

On Monday of this week running a bath, went to switch off hot water tap and the water kept flying through even when the tap was fully switched off.

I finally managed to get it to a small drip by switching on the cold water tap on the bath and the hot & cold water taps on the sink and flushing the toilet at the same time. With the water going to all these things the water reduced to a trickle from the hot water tap and when I switched everything else off the water didnt come back through the h/water tap. When I listen closely to the hot water tap I can hear a slight hissing noise. Is the problem a water pressure problem - I asked next door and they have exactly the same problem!! - just the hot water tap on the bath. All the other taps - hot and cold - work fine!

Any ideas please?

Thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
Check the tap washer if its getting past the tap when shut its sounds like the washer has perished

I'm confused Mark - why do you think this is anything other than a faulty tap or tap washer?

Sponsored Links
sorry - i forgot to mention - next door has exactly the same problem with exactly the same tap - that is why I thought it might be something else other than the tap itself.

It is also the "hissing" sound that is coming from the tap - it sounds to me like a build up of pressure but what do i know (!!) - that is why I have come here for help!!

Thanks for your help
Mark

A picture of the tap could be helpful. It could be a mixer or single taps. Conventional, quarter turn taps or cartridge type.

thanks for your reply slugbaby - it is a single tap. The top of the tap has four points - does that mean it is a quarter turn.

I dont know if you can put photos on here?

It is just the thing with the neighbours tap (we live in a semi and they are the other house attached) which has kind of confused the issue.

Regards
Mark

50p says its the tap. Let's get the photo up, or go out and buy a new bath-tap washer straight away if that's quicker. Also find or borrow some adjustable spanners of various sizes and look to see what valves you have to turn off the hot water (if you are extremely lucky there will be a service valve under the bath or in the airing cupboard).

The neighbours have quite likely got the same kind of tap fitted at the ame time, and equally worn out.

MarkFitDT said:
sorry - i forgot to mention - next door has exactly the same problem with exactly the same tap - that is why I thought it might be something else other than the tap itself.
Why do you think that the cause of the neighbour's (independent) problem is any different to the cause of yours?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back