No water coming from hot tap

It was common a long time ago thet the cold water to the bathroom was from storage and common for airlocks , it might be that simple , Cant see anything in your pics that would stop you getting cold water at your basin, might be as simple as faulty tap, does the tap seem to move freely when you open and close it ?

Sponsored Links
Yes the tap moves fine. It's the hot water we're not getting, the cold is fine.

Your first pic is the loo isolating valve, that's fine, the second looks like a 15mm to 10mm reducer and that's fine too.
Can you sort out a method of connecting mains pressure cold water ( not tanked) to the faulty hot tap? It may involve a hose pipe :eek: But the idea is to force water through the hot tap to burp any air out from the supply from your loft tank.
John :)

John I have absolutely no idea but I'll look into it . Do you think it sounds like an air lock then?

Sponsored Links
It really has to be ruled out.....on more than one occasion with me an air lock was causing the hot to run very slowly - forcing high pressure cold water ( gently) through the hot tap got it going again.
It can be a bit of a pain to find a way of connecting the mains cold to the tap though.....some taps are easier than others!
John :)

Ok, well I wasn't expecting that lol! Would there not be lots of gunk that came out with it?

Easiest way is if you have a mixer tap. Place the palm of your hand over the spout covering the end, open the hot tap and then slowly (it may squirt) open the cold. Leave it running for about 30seconds. Close the cold and remove your hand. If its an air lock you should get water coming out of the tap (it won't be hot straight away). You might have to repeat this a few times leaving it running a bit longer.

Gigz I tried that a couple of times yesterday but it didn't help. I gave it another few goes this morning and held it for longer but still no joy. Every time I turn the hot tap on again I'm getting a tiny trickle then it stops.

Haven't re read all the posts, but have you checked there's water in the cold water storage tank ? It'll be in the loft or possibly above the cylinder (larger of 2 tanks.)

Just re read. If you have water coming out of another tap the washer in the problem tap might have come off and could be stuck in the tap body. You'll have to strip it to see.

Don't just rely on your tap knob simply because it is able to turn, ( turning with some resistance and not the cap just spinning on splined spindle) internally the washer can dislodge in some peculiar way or manner that not even a single drop of water under mains pressure can flow through, this ios from my 1st hand experience on this, I opened the tap and found the black rubber washer dislodged and swollen, so put in a new 1/2" washer all was well for about 3 months and the same thing happened again, not a drop would come out, so I let it go for about 6 months, we simply didn't use our cold water tap and always used the hot water tap, but then just last month I felt inclined to fix it again, and same thing was found again, the black washer had dislodged and how it blocks cold water flowing through defies logic but it does. so it may also be worth checking that.

Edit....gigz beat me to it! well done gigz

Last edited:
Thanks guys I'll get that looked into, hopefully something that's easily fixed, it is an older bathroom suite.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back