No water from hot water tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Valiant Ecotec boiler and yesterday i decided to switch the heating on - i noticed 30 minutes later no radiators were on, but my hot water was still working. (i'd previously had the heating on last week so it was working)

I tried switching the boiler on and off but still no heating - so i gave up.

This morning I have no water coming out of any of my hot water taps, but my heating is working and I have cold water as normal from all other taps. I'm a bit worried about the lack of water from the hot water tap, they were definitely working last night

I'd be grateful for any ideas on what the problem could be and dare I ask cost of repairing it as my boiler is just out of warranty :(

Sponsored Links
3 way valve??

Sorry I'm a complete novice when it comes to DIY - is this something I should get a professional in for? :oops:

I'm only assuming that you've got an external three-way valve; a bit more information on your system might be a help.

Which model Valiant Ecotec boiler have you got?

or

Is it a conventional or combi boiler - you can normally tell if you have a separate hot-water tank fitted somewhere?

Sponsored Links
Its an EcoTEC plus 824 or an EcoTEC plus 831 (Sorry I'm having a mental block trying to remember specifically which one of those it is)

Check the right hand grey plastic knob UNDER the boiler is closed. It will be long side facing you and actually say closed on it.

It only turns 90D one way, so don't be worried about turning it.

I will certainly check that when I get home tonight - thanks for the suggestion

Is only one hot tap not getting any water out, or all of them?

Just to clarify again, you do actually mean no water at all coming out of the hot tap, not even cold?

Hi Dave

Thats right no water at all coming out of the hot water tap, but cold water tap running as normal.

And all the hot water taps are affected.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Either there must be a blockage in the inlet water filter at the cold mains inlet on the combi, or someone has inadvertently turned an isolating valve off in the cold supply to the combi :confused:

Thanks for your reply Dave. I did reset the boiler a couple of times and I definitely didn't mess with any of the pipes,so hopefully i've not inadvertently cut off the cold water supply. :confused:

The blockage idea seems to be feasible.

One additional thing I've noticed (and i don't think this is related to the lack of water but who knows) is that the thermostat for the central heating doesn't work - i have a thermostat in my lounge and it doesn't matter what I set it to (tried setting it to 30 degrees) the boiler doesn't click on like it used to. However there is a panel to the side of the boiler with two buttons, one labelled Prog and one labelled CH1 - if i press the CH1 button the central heating fires up. I'm assuming thats some kind of override switch.

PS. Yes i wish i had paid more attention when the boiler was installed so I new what all the different parts of the system were :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back