No water in boiler loop - how to fill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I've got an old vented system. The tank is heated by an oil boiler - or was at least! It started cutting out shortly after firing, then stopped all together. I could hear alot of noise in the pipes so suspected air in the boiler to cylinder loop. Cracked top but to cylinder and nothing! As in it appears empty! But, how to fill?
Photo attached!
Thanks for any input

Attachments

• 17118140137505238252723615923789.jpg
    17118140137505238252723615923789.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 26
Sponsored Links
Is there a small tank ( f&e cistern) in the loft that feeds the system with water , if so ,is it half full of water ?
Does boiler run for central heating ok ?

Thanks for reply. Unfortunately I can't check if boiler runs heating as the system is central heating is currently not complete... Got multiple radiators off and incomplete pipe work....
Yes, f&e tank is half full.....

Sponsored Links
I can't figure out how the water feeds into loop from cistern... There's two 15 mm pipes coming down, one goes to central heating system and the other to rayburn back boiler loop....

We havnt had central heating for a year or do, but boiler has heated hot water fine....

So boiler loop is dry, but there doesn't appear to be a way of filling, unless radiator system needs to be full for boiler loop to be full, but then how has it worked fine for a year.... Baffling.

Manned up and stopped every open pipe, filled ch system, bled boiler coil, reset boiler and off she went.

Why do I find plumbing so bloody stressful!?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back