no water out of my tap.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there,

in my bathroom the hot water tap has had less and less water coming out of it, and now i can't get any out at all. i can turn the tap all the way on and not a thing.

there's no noise, like the pressure was there but it's blocked, it's completely silent. when a bit was coming out it looked more like low pressure than a small ammount of water squirting out through a small gap.

the hot water in the bath is unaffected.

any ideas?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Have you had any related water work done ?
Check that water is getting into the hot tank. Look at the header tank, ball valve may have jammed, exit pipe from tank maybe blocked

no work done. and it was a gradual thing. and the bath is unaffected. wouldn't the baths hot water come from the same source?

cheers

if the other hot taps are working, and that one isn't, suspect the tap is at fault. Maybe a washer come loose or broken up, or the handle is not winding the innards up and down, maybe a clip has come off the top of the spindle.

Find out how to isolate the supply and dismantle the tap starting at the top. The fault may be obvious when you do. If not, see if water flows freely through the base of the tap when you turn on the supply for half a second. If it does, and you still can't see what's wrong, have a look at how the adjacent cold tap works and you may spot a missing or faulty part.

You just need a large and a medium adjustable spanner and a screwdriver.

Sponsored Links
ok, tried that,

i can take the tap apart but i think the washers are sealed within the base. there's a small pipe sticking up with a clip at the base, this comes off but then everything else seems to be one piece.

they're kind of horrible plastic white based taps with brass handle bits.

is there such a thing as taps with sealed washers?

cheers

there should be a hexagon on the part you have exposed, enabling it to unscrew from the base

but plastic ones might be different.

try here
http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-fix-a-dripping-tap-bib-or-pillar
http://www.videojug.com/search?keywords=tap+washer

changing a washer is very similar to what you need to do. In the video, she should have put an old towel into the basin first so it is not cracked or chipped by spanners or bits of tap falling into it. Putting the plug in prevents small parts falling down the drain. She should have supported the tap to prevent it twisting while spannering.

On your tap, the main nut/hexagon is probably hidden by a screw-on "easy-clean" smooth cover.

Your taps might have a sealed cartridge inside, that you can take out but not repair. but you can buy these as replacements. take the old one with you to your plumbers merchant or DIY shed and get the same kind.

thanks for all your help.

i think it's ok now, i've unscrewed the small pipe and noticed that the clip should be lower on it and so keeping it up. i've moved it up and pushed the clip to the base where it's clipped into place. now this little pipe thing is as long as the cold taps and hot tap seems back to normal. the pipe thing must have been a bolt and pushed down on a valve, it was too low and so sealed the valve.

thanks again.

think it's ok now, i've unscrewed the small pipe and noticed that the clip should be lower on it and so keeping it up. i've moved it up and pushed the clip to the base where it's clipped into place. now this little pipe thing is as long as the cold taps and hot tap seems back to normal. the pipe thing must have been a bolt and pushed down on a valve, it was too low and so sealed the valve.

Thats some description for a tap spindle and circlip.

But hey at least you got there well done
:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back