noggins and where to use them

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am building a bit of a robust shed (8'x20') out of mainly 4"x2" treated timber and I have constructed the base framework but before I cover it I just wondered about noggins, do I need to put them in a floor, I haven't spotted any in my house under the floorboards, so are they just for walls?

What is their main purpose, I understand that you can place them strategically so that they tie in with any sheet edges for fixing purposes, but is their main purpose not to stop the timbers twisting?

If I should put them in, bearing in mind the joists span the 8' length, where/how many should I put in?

Any info appreciated, and apologies if the question is a bit basic.

Sponsored Links
assuming your on around 2ft centres and you aint using plasterboard i wouldnt bother as the span is small
with plasterboard its only to support the edges on the joins

Ok cheers for the info big-all, they are actually at 400mm centres and 18mm WPB ply on top so I will leave the noggins out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back