noggins for floor joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing bathroom floor and putting down 25mm WBP ply 8x4ft sheets for tiling on. Bathroom size going across the joists is 10ft, going with joists 6ft. Is it best to lay ply across the joists (stronger) hence noggins where the sheets meet or can i get away going with the joist and no noggins? Also would i need noggins at wall edge side of each ply? Lastly the floor joists are 7x3 - how big does the noggin need to be?

Sponsored Links
When you have a join not on a joist it will need a noggin fitting,I would use noggins the same size as the joists.

do i need noggins at board ends between joists along the wall edge, as these will be a potential weak point?

Sponsored Links
It rather depends where it is; if it’s unlikely to ever be walked on or subject to load then you won’t need additional support. Sometimes it’s worth putting in some 4” x 2” noggins, it's unnecessary to go full joist depth here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back