1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Noise from GRP flat roof

Discussion in 'Roofing and Guttering' started by ajs1954, 21 Aug 2013.

1. alex henebury

alex henebury

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    5 page thread with several contributors discussing the problem.Surely better to ask those with experience and join a thread already discussing the issue.

• Like Like x 1
  2. oldbutnotdead

oldbutnotdead

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You could always start a new thread & link to this one.....but the key to GRP rooves is the deck has to be rock solid. The system I use recommends T & G OSB3 - if you choose to use plain sheets (which I have on some cos cost) ALL the joints MUST be supported. I've not done a warm roof but I'd be suspicious about being able to get a solid enough fix through Celotex or similar and the joints (on plain sheets) would not be supported.
    I do wonder whether the warm roof sketch is suitable for GRP- with a cold roof the roof can radiate absorbed heat in both directions (up to the sky and down into the roof space), with a warm roof the underside of the roof will get very hot because of the insulation thus giving an extreme temperature difference across 18mm of OSB which would explain all the expansion noises.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. alex henebury

alex henebury

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    thanks oldbutnotdead. I think you're right. Definitely a movement noise. Having added some noggins and toenailed some extra screws from the joists up into the firings theres a definite improvement. ( ceiling not plasterboard). I can make the noise happen if i push up on the roof with a 3x2 so its definitely movement.
    Im hoping extra noggins will add more rigidity and when the plasterboard goes on , and I will use heavier fire rated , this weight will also help inhibit movement.
    I think as a final resort some sedum will help , thermally as a barrier but also as a weight , holding the roof down , limiting movement again.

5. catlad

catlad

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You could try putting some polyurathane on all the joists and noggins if you have access underneath to stop the boards moving.

6. Sponsored Links